Remember to Check Timers on Irrigation System Controllers
It is time to adjust those irrigation controllers to accommodate the end of Daylight Saving Time. Tampa residents will be turning their clocks back one hour early Sunday morning (November 6, 2011) to change from Daylight Saving to Eastern Standard Time. The Tampa Water Department reminds residents to also reset the timers on their irrigation system controllers as necessary to avoid a time-of-day water use restriction violation.
Resetting your irrigation controller provides a good opportunity to accomplish some simple preventive maintenance on your irrigation system. A few suggestions are:
• Ensure the battery backup on your controller is operating properly to maintain system programming during power interruptions.
• Test your rain sensor, or other required automatic rain shut-off device, for proper operation and settings.
• Use the "manual" setting on your clock to turn on each sprinkler zone for a couple of minutes at a time. Check these items:
- Misaligned heads: Adjust sprinkler heads that have shifted and are watering the street, driveway or building.
- Obstructed heads: Make sure your pop-up sprinklers fully clear taller grass and plants. Check for heads that may have been grown over preventing them from fully extending.
- Broken parts: Look for parts broken by your mower or foot traffic. Replace with identical parts for peak performance.
- Head-to-head coverage: Each sprinkler's spray should just reach the next sprinkler head. Under-spray may result in dry spots, while over-spray wastes water.
Up to 10 minutes per zone of attended irrigation system testing is allowed during restricted hours under the current watering restrictions. Consult the restrictions for specifics. A complete Do-It-Yourself Sprinkler Checkup and the Rain Sensor Checkup are available online at www.TampaGov.net/SaveWater
Tampa’s year-round irrigation restrictions remain in effect and are enforced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Irrigation is not allowed between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. and is limited to the designated days for that address. Irrigation days are determined by address numbers. Information on irrigation days is available online at www.TampaGov.net/WaterRestrictions
or by calling Tampa's Water Restrictions Hotline at (813) 274-8032 for a recorded summary.