(S10) $42,619.20 - $63,835.20 a year|
JOB CODE: 380700
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will perform duties involving supervising routine and specialized residential and commercial refuse collection tasks in a designated area.
- Coordinating the assignment of refuse collection vehicles and equipment for daily use.
- Inspecting collection tasks being performed daily to ensure proper operation of equipment and adherence to work methods, standards and safety practices.
- Receiving and logging any complaints relative to assigned area and taking appropriate action. Determining whether correct service charges for business places and apartment houses are being assessed.
- Preparing and maintaining oral and written reports.
- Interpreting collection rules and regulations.
- Supervising subordinate employees.
- Performing related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of methods, materials, techniques, and equipment used in a variety of refuse removal activities.
- Knowledge of the city, its geography and street networks.
- Knowledge of the operation and care of vehicles and equipment utilized in solid waste activities.
- Knowledge of vehicle maintenance scheduling techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of effective supervisory techniques.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of construction, assembly, and maintenance requirements of diversified refuse collection vehicles and equipment.
- Knowledge of materials, supplies, tools, and equipment stored and/or used in solid waste operations.
- Knowledge of clerical and financial record keeping as employed in warehousing operations.
- Ability to plan, assign, supervise, and review the work of subordinate employees.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials, and the general public.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and effectively carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare concise oral and written reports.
QUALIFICATIONS: High-school or vocational-school graduation and three (3) years progressively responsible experience in a solid waste operation, including some supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Possession of a valid Florida Commercial Driver’s License, Class “B” with Air Brakes. (Submit photocopy of CDL with application.)
- Ability to obtain NIMS levels 100, 200 and 700 and HAZWOPER and SWANA (Solid Waste Association of North America) certifications within 6 months of employment.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of education and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment medical examinations.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of December 14, 2010. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
12/14/2010 will not be processed.