(N32) $47,840.00 - $71,593.60 a year|
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will be responsible for storing, manipulating, documenting, distributing, and displaying geographically referenced information and using utility and data conversion software, Global Positioning Systems (GPS), computer screen digitizing or other methods for capturing data in support of GIS programs.
- Compiling and integrating cartographic data from a wide variety of sources for inclusion in map products.
- Assisting in the development and deployment of web mapping applications.
- Manipulating and analyzing GIS data, which may include quality assurance, creation and maintenance of spatial data topology and attributes, format manipulation, geo-referencing, and datum and projection transformations.
- Developing and utilizing queries and other GIS tools to analyze spatial data.
- Assisting in decision-making, general reports and map products, and to ensure data quality.
- Planning, organizing and carrying out GPS field work for testing geo-spatial data accuracy assessments.
- Ensuring that GIS data and data processing procedures adhere to standards, policies and other guidelines.
- Assisting in the development, testing and documentation of data capturing, analysis and quality control procedures/documentation.
- Creating metadata detailing data sources and collection, processing and analysis techniques.
- Responding to technical questions from GIS users needing assistance and resolving problems.
- Providing technical assistance to others on assigned projects and serves as a resource person to other departments on GIS related topics.
- Referring and discussing complex problems with supervisor or other designated contacts as appropriate.
- Participating in meetings, training seminars and user groups as directed.
- Performing related work as required.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGES, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Working knowledge of requirements and needs of the GIS field.
- Knowledge of cartographic principles - technological and artistic aspects of developing and producing maps.
- Knowledge of research techniques and data sources.
- Knowledge of GIS systems (MapInfo, ArcView, etc).
- Ability to analyze various types of spatial information and their inter-relationships.
- Ability to assist with researching spatial data availability from internal and external sources.
- Ability to comprehend written material at a high level.
- Ability to collect, assimilate, analyze, and interpret data and draw sound conclusions.
- Ability to prepare oral and written reports and impart them effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Skill in organization and time management.
- Skill in researching to stay current with emerging GIS technology trends.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelorís degree in geography, spatial information systems, computer science, cartography, earth science, natural resources, remote sensing, environmental science, civil engineering, surveying or a closely related field and two (2) years experience in the use of GIS.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of April 19, 2012. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
4/19/2012 will not be processed.