(032) $22.53 - $32.10 an hour     $46,862.40 - $66,768.00 a year|
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plan; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will be responsible for performing a variety of responsible technical transportation engineering assignments.
- Participates in performing a variety of responsible technical transportation engineering assignments.
- Conducts field investigations and recommends solutions to traffic flow and control problems; oversees the collection and assembly of diverse technical traffic data.
- Participates in the analysis of data and the preparation and presentation of reports to facilitate transportation studies.
- Oversees the conduct of signal warrant studies to determine needs and establish priorities for traffic signal installations.
- Participates in analyzing signalized intersections’ capacity and level of service.
- Recommends changes in traffic control devices for more efficient movement of traffic.
- Oversees the review of construction/site plans for compliance with off-street parking ordinances and various other traffic laws and regulations.
- Performs progression system reviews to maintain system-operating integrity.
- Reviews drawings prepared/submitted by others to identify conflicts with actual field conditions/assure compliance with plans and specifications.
- Performs related work as required.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGES, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
- Knowledge of signals, signs, and markings and their applications and usage.
- Knowledge of work hazards and applicable safety precautions.
- Knowledge of municipal rules, regulations, and ordinances relating to traffic flow and control.
- Knowledge of charting and graphing procedures and practices.
- Knowledge of basic drafting techniques including standardized drawing techniques.
- Ability to make mathematical computations using standardized formulas.
- Ability to communicate moderately complex information and ideas verbally and in writing.
- Ability to follow logical lines of inquiry to conclusions.
- Ability to evaluate the work of others for accuracy and completeness.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions/standardized procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plan and specifications; prepared charts, graphs, tables, and other visual aids.
- Ability to prepare oral and written reports and maintain accurate and complete records.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials, and the public.
- Skill in data analysis and the use and care of traffic data gathering and measuring equipment.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited high school and completion of two (2) years of college level coursework in engineering, mathematics, computers, science or related subjects and five (5) years of experience in data analysis, computers, or engineering or one (1) year of experience if currently employed with the Transportation Division for the City of Tampa; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Florida driver’s license.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing. Selected applicant must pass a federal background check for Port of Tampa access.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of July 10, 2012. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Posted: 6-26-12 (005083)
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
7/10/2012 will not be processed.