(024) $16.45 - $23.44 an hour     $34,216.00 - $48,755.20 a year|
JOB CODE: 0004000
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will serve as personal administrative assistants to department directors or higher level division managers, perform as lead workers over other office personnel, or perform highly specialized, technical research and document preparation functions in a central services component. The current position is at the Convention Center and requires that the employee be available to work flexible schedules including night and weekends as events dictate.
- Researching all inbound telephone sales leads as well as researching and developing leads for various types of local events.
- Relieving supervisor of many administrative details in matters not requiring policy decisions.
- Providing information concerning established policies and procedures.
- Responding to complaints or refers to appropriate respondent.
- Participating in information searches and compiles data on assigned projects; verifying accuracy of records/data.
- Utilizing computer to prepare correspondence, memoranda, reports, and other technical materials as directed and from rough draft where required.
- Editing materials to be typed to ensure proper grammar and punctuation, improving clarity, and correcting inaccuracies; proofreading own work.
- Composing correspondence independently or from general outlines.
- Developing forms and highly technical documents utilizing specialized computer software.
- Attending high level meetings and conferences as recording secretary; serving as administrative and/or recording secretary for major governing boards.
- Screening and routing telephone calls and visitors.
- Answering questions on the phone or in person to requests for information from the public, city, or other agencies; opening and distributing mail.
- Maintaining calendar of appointments; scheduling meetings and conferences to include preparing travel documents when needed.
- Establishing and maintaining files, control logs, and other office records.
- Ordering and distributing supplies; maintaining physical inventory of supplies, forms, and equipment; processing purchase requisitions.
- Preparing and/or monitoring administrative and specialized budgets for department.
- Preparing cash receipts and depositing monies; preparing records for archiving.
- Serving in lead capacity over lower-level clerical personnel.
- Assigning, directing and reviewing work; recommending employment, performance appraisals, and discipline.
- Operating, cleaning, and performing minor adjustments and limited maintenance on a variety of office machines and related equipment.
- Coordinating maintenance, repair, and servicing of equipment and/or facilities.
- Performing related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of business English, mathematics, and accepted practices of grammar and composition.
- Knowledge of standard office practices, equipment usage, and procedures.
- Knowledge of the operation of computer equipment and related software.
- Working knowledge of rules, regulations, administrative procedures, policies, and functions of the assigned department.
- Ability to compose, edit, and correct draft correspondence and reports.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain files and records; prepare reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Skill in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Adobe Professional; use of Concentrics or similar customer management database software to include ability to enter data into the system and run reports as directed; website calendar maintenance and design; use of social media to promote the venue and events is preferred .
Graduation from an accredited high school and five (5) years office or secretarial experience including experience in operation of computers; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Individuals with xperience in a convention center or convention hotel marketing and sales department or closely related environment will be given preference.
- Performance Test of typing ability (passing is 55 wpm with a maximum of 5 errors).
- Written Test (Time Limit: 1-1/2 hours).
- Applicants must telephone the Employment Services Office (813-274-8911) to schedule an appointment for the written test. Submit your application first, then call our office to verify you are qualified to test. (Photo Identification is required at time of testing.)
- Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of August 15, 2012. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
8/15/2012 will not be processed.