(031) $22.12 - $31.47 an hour     $46,009.60 - $65,457.60 a year |
(032) $22.98 - $32.74 an hour $47,798 - $68,099 a year
(033) $23.91 - $34.03 an hour $49,733 - $70,782 a year
(034) $24.86 - $35.41 an hour $51,709 - $73,653 a year
PAY BASED ON SKILL LEVEL
JOB CODE: 263001-263004
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will be responsible for performing highly technical inspections of residential and commercial structures and construction sites to ensure conformance with approved plans and state/municipal codes, regulations, and ordinances.
- Performs required inspections of foundations, concrete slabs, beams, pilasters, steel placement, framing, insulation, roofing, and related construction work;
- Performs required inspections of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, gas and solar energy equipment and systems as well as site construction (zoning, tree/landscaping, transportation and stormwater features).
- Investigates complaints, issue citations and present complaint cases to judicial boards regarding code and permit violations and faulty work; determines if a violation or hazard exists.
- Determines safety of installation, adequacy of capacity, durability of materials, and compliance with code.
- Conducts final inspection for compliance with Florida Building Code and City of Tampa Land Use Code prior to issuance of Certificate of Occupancy
- Maintains inspection records; prepares inspection reports as well as completes time sheets; performs mathematical calculations for work projects.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGES, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of principles and practices of building design and construction.
- Knowledge of landscaping, transportation and stormwater methods, practices, and materials.
- Knowledge of building and site codes, standards and ordinances.
- Knowledge of building and inspection procedures, practices, and methods.
- Working knowledge of the layout of the City and its geography; computer equipment and software.
- Ability to read, interpret, and work from construction plans, blueprints, and schematics.
- Ability to enforce applicable codes and ordinances with firmness, impartiality, and tact.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions; prepare and submit clear and concise written reports.
- Ability to perform work requiring moderate physical exertion, including climbing ladders.
- Ability to operate a lightweight motor vehicle.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, the construction industry, utilities and the general public.
- Skill in the use and maintenance of building and site construction testing equipment.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited high school or vocational school and pursuant to Section 468.609, Florida Statutes five (5) years of experience in building and site construction practices.
For Levels II, III, & IV – Additional (1) year of experience in application of municipal and state codes, laws, rules and regulations.
REQUIRED LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES FOR ALL LEVELS: Copies of certificates/licenses must be submitted with application.
Possession of: A valid Florida driver’s license Possession of: a valid Florida Division I or Division II Contractor’s License. Acceptable substitutions will be considered.
Level I: *Florida Standard Inspectors License in Building, Plumbing, Mechanical or Electrical (FS 468) in one (1) area.
*Applicants selected must possess a valid Florida Standard Inspector License, or apply to the State for a provisional license immediately upon selection and obtain the standard license within twenty-four (24) months.
Level II: *Florida Standard One & Two Family Dwelling Inspectors License.Florida Standard Inspectors License in Building, Plumbing, Mechanical or Electrical (FS 468) in one (1) area.
Level III: Florida Standard One & Two Family Dwelling Inspectors License.Florida Standard Inspectors License in Building, Plumbing, Mechanical or Electrical (FS 468) in two (2) areas.
Level IV:Florida Standard One & Two Family Dwelling Inspectors License.Florida Standard Inspectors License in Building, Plumbing, Mechanical or Electrical (FS 468) in three (3) areas OR Florida Standard Inspectors License in Building, Plumbing, Mechanical or Electrical (FS 468) in two (2) areas and either Certified Floodplain Manager or ISA Arborist Certification
SPECIAL JOB DEMANDS: Employee operates a light weight motor vehicle to travel among work locations and performs tasks requiring moderate physical exertion including climbing ladders, scaffolds, etc. Applicants selected for employment must place their Contractor’s License on inactive status with the State immediately upon employment.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing..
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: POSITIONS ARE OPEN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5-14-13; 5-16-13; 2-7-14 (263001 - 263004)