(022) $15.58 - $22.12 an hour     $32,406.40 - $46,009.60 a year|
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected applicant will be responsible for operating front-side- and rear-loading refuse collection vehicles and performing collection activities alone.
- Working alone and driving safely a front-, side- or rear-loading refuse collection vehicle on an established collection route.
- Operating various mechanisms for such functions as loading, packing, and unloading refuse.
- Performing physical tasks relating to loading refuse into the hopper when operating manually loaded side-loaders and rear-loaders.
- Performing curbside service and special backdoor service for handicapped or disability cases when assigned to residential collection.
- Completing daily vehicle inspection & reports maintenance requirements..;
- Assuring vehicle is properly equipped, serviced and cleaned.
- Operating vehicle radio and understanding standard operational radio procedures.
- Performing other related duties.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of operation and maintenance characteristics of front-loading commercial refuse vehicles and/or side-/rear- loading refuse vehicles.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions.
- Ability to read and write.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read maps and navigate to pick-up locations on unfamiliar routes.
- Ability to interpret route maps and make recommendations for improving routes.
- Ability to perform manual tasks involving heavy and continuous lifting.
- Ability to operate equipment with somewhat complicated mechanisms requiring physical coordination.
- Ability to perform work requiring physical strength and endurance during all types of weather.
- Ability to complete and submit oral and written reports in a clear, concise, and accurate manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Skill and ability to demonstrate proficiency in the operation of all three types of equipment.
QUALIFICATIONS: Completion of the eighth grade and six (6) months experience in the operation of at least one (1) of the following three types of equipment: front-loading commercial refuse container trucks, side-loading or rear-loading manually loaded refuse collection vehicles with packer and dump; and six (6) months experience in performing heavy physical work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Possession of a valid Commercial Driverís License, Class "B" plus Air Brakes. (Submit photocopy of CDL with application.)
EXAMINATION:Evaluation of training and experience. (A Training and Experience Supplemental Form must be completed/submitted with the employment application.)Drug testing is included in all pre-employment medical examinations.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of June 5, 2013. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
6/5/2013 will not be processed.