(024) $16.45 - $23.44 an hour     $34,216.00 - $48,755.20 a year|
JOB CODE: 383000
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The employee in this class is responsible for monitoring and assisting in the sorting and separation of solid waste materials at the municipal refuse transfer station and monitor the performance of contracted vendors providing service to the McKay Bay Transfer Station.
- Works at a municipal refuse transfer station monitoring and assisting in the separation of materials for compliance with local, state, and federal regulations; Serves as liaison with regulatory agencies.
- Works with the supervisor to oversee the manual and mechanical separation of materials that should not be combined for final disposal at the county landfill and the sorting of materials for recycling.
- Monitors and inspects the performance of contracted vendors that provide equipment, materials, and transportation services.
- Inspects and performs minor maintenance of leachate control systems used in transfer station operations.
- Conducts visual inspections of loads to ensure compliance with all applicable guidelines and regulations; reports findings to supervisors and scalehouse personnel.
- Assists the supervisors in the education and implementation of safety protocols, security measures, disposal procedures, traffic patterns, and all applicable guidelines and regulations for the facility, visitors, and personnel assigned to the transfer station.
- Assists the supervisor in maintaining permits and certifications for the facility and personnel assigned to the transfer station.
- Provides on-site training when applicable or required for contractors and Department personnel assigned to transfer station operations.
- Compiles, produces, and maintains reports related to transfer station operations for planning, training, performance standards, and reporting to regulatory agencies.
- Operates equipment used in transfer station operations.
- Performs related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGES, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
Working knowledge of: the service and functions of a municipal refuse transfer station; familiarity with state and federal rules and regulations governing solid waste and disposal and transfer station operations; knowledge of hazardous waste; effective customer service practices and techniques; working knowledge of MS Office software; standard office practices, procedures and equipment usage; office records keeping practices and methods; cashiering practices and procedures; proper safety practices.
Ability to: make routine decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures; learn a variety of methods, techniques and procedures associated with the operation of on-line computerized equipment; learn standardized procedures for the different modes of operation; understand and follow oral and written instructions; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, contractors and the public; load and unload heavy items.
Skill in: the operation, care and minor maintenance of various types of machinery and equipment such as cash registers, computers, and computerized scales.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited high school or vocational school with one (1) year of experience in solid waste including processing, separation and collection (recycling) of materials, and six (6) months in customer service or public contract experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Class B Florida driverís license with air brake endorsement. Possession of HAZWOPER certification (or obtain certification within six months of employment.) Submit copies of documents with the application.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. Drug testing is included in pre-employment processing.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of July 12, 2013. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
7/12/2013 will not be processed.