(026) $17.81 - $25.34 an hour     $37,044.80 - $52,707.20 a year|
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plan; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will perform skilled work in technical maintenance and major repairs to diverse vehicles and equipment.
- Perform skilled work on heavy-duty and/or special vehicles and equipment that are gasoline, diesel and/or propane powered to include fire apparatus.
- Analyze vehicle and equipment malfunctions and extent of needed maintenance and repair.
- Repair and replace lines, seals, valves, compressors, and tanks on brake systems.
- Assist in providing training to lower-level mechanics in the performance of technical maintenance and major repair tasks.
- Performing complex maintenance and specialized repair tasks in an on-the-job training capacity to acquire experience and develop skill and proficiency.
- Preparing records of work performed.
- Completing paperwork to order uniforms, supplies, materials, etc.
- Operating light mechanical equipment.
- Performing related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of standard methods, practices, tools, and equipment used in the maintenance and repair of diverse gasoline, diesel, and/or propane powered vehicles and equipment.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions relating to vehicle and equipment maintenance and repair; mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic principles as applied to maintenance and repairs of automotive, construction and special vehicles and equipment.
- Knowledge of safe methods used for hoisting and relocating heavy mechanisms.
- Knowledge of the operation and use of diverse automotive, construction, and special vehicles and equipment.
- Ability to perform technical maintenance and major mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic repairs;.
- Ability to use and interpret wiring diagrams, blueprints, and technical publications; operate testing equipment to detect vehicle and equipment malfunctions and to identify repair requirements.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring physical strength.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and prepare simple reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to inspect work of others and train lower level mechanics; acquire additional skill in performing complex maintenance and specialized repair tasks.
- Skill in the use and care of tools, machinery and testing equipment utilized in technical maintenance and major repair of automotive, construction, and special vehicles and equipment.
QUALIFICATIONS: High-school or vocational-school graduation and one (1) year experience in performing routine maintenance and minor repair work on automotive, construction and special vehicles and equipment that are gasoline, diesel and/or propane powered, including six (6) months experience in performing technical maintenance and major repair tasks.
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS: Prefer experience with diesel, hydraulics and heavy-duty trucks/equipment. Diagnosis, maintenance and repair of sedans and light trucks a plus.
REQUIRED LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES:
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing. A Training and Experience Supplemental Form must be submitted with the application. (Forms available on-line).
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS:To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of __________________. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
9/13/2013 will not be processed.