(028) $19.66 - $27.96 an hour     $40,892.80 - $58,156.80 a year|
JOB CODE: 007501
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will be responsible for performing analysis of police department crime data to identify patterns, trends, common characteristics, and the underlying causes of criminal activity.
- Assisting a supervisor in developing appropriate programs leading to improved crime prevention and criminal apprehension based on information obtained and analyzed.
- Maintaining files on criminals’ modus operandi (MO).
- Maintaining support and other files.
- Assisting in developing methods for correlation of data and determination of patterns, trends, or common characteristics relating to crime within the municipality.
- Assisting in developing conclusions and recommendations for improvement or correction of specific or related crime problems.
- Assisting in gathering of information.
- Preparing and submitting daily reports.
- Performing regular or specific research analysis of crimes, social and economic data.
- Performing related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of statistical methods and research concepts and techniques.
- Knowledge of computer techniques, statistical application, and capabilities.
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of the principles of, and developments in, crime analysis methods, techniques, and data sources.
- Ability to gather and organize data for analysis.
- Ability to interpret and analyze crime and other data.
- Ability to prepare and present clear and concise reports and recommendations both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate’s Degree that includes course work in the social sciences (criminology, criminal justice, sociology, political science, or a related field) or in the technical sciences (statistics, mathematics, computer science, or a related field) and some statistical or research experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. NOTE: An acceptable transcript of college coursework/credits may be requested.
SPECIAL JOB DEMANDS: Computer/database experience required.
NOTE: A background investigation and polygraph examination will be conducted on the candidate selected for employment.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of December 27, 2014. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process if you want to save your online application for future use or if you want to be able to edit or update the information you include in your application. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
12/27/2013 will not be processed.