(028) $19.66 - $27.96 an hour     $40,892.80 - $58,156.80 a year|
JOB CODE: 005092
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will be responsible for performing various responsible technical transportation engineering assignments to include conducting investigations and recommending solutions to traffic flow and control problems.
- Review and evaluate transportation systems and services with respect to traffic control devices, traffic safety and operational problems/deficiencies.
- Perform traffic engineering studies and investigations to determine the most appropriate course of action for a given situation in support of the relative need for specific traffic control measures and devices to facilitate traffic operation and safety. This includes traffic data collection, compilation, and analysis to present a clear, concise picture of the nature of a traffic problem that forms the basis for decisions.
- Prepares and presents reports, both orally and in writing, on traffic study conclusions and recommendations.
- Enters and retrieves data in files using a personal computer to maintain accurate and complete records, to include documenting problems and solutions associated with citizen complaints.
- Meets with the public regarding traffic problems.
- Prepares detailed drawings for the installation or removal of specific traffic control devices (traffic signs and pavement markings).
- Monitors and responds to citizen inquiries through the Customer Service Center System, ensuring that all inquiries directed to the Traffic Engineering Section are processed and closed in a timely manner. This also includes updating the citizen with regard to the progress of the investigation into the citizen's inquiry.
- Documents illegal activities (names, addresses, and type of violations) in the rights-of-way and sending written notices of the City code violations to the violators.
- Investigates concerns from the citizens and other city departments.
- Performs related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the manual of uniform traffic control devices; signals, signs, and markings and their proper applications and usage.
- Knowledge of work hazards and applicable safety precautions; municipal rules, regulations, and ordinances relating to traffic flow and control.
- Knowledge of basic drafting techniques including standardized drawing techniques.
- Ability to make mathematical computations using standardized formulas.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions/standardized procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans and specifications.
- Ability to prepare oral and written reports and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, officials, and the general public.
- Skill in the use and care of traffic data gathering and measuring equipment.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited high school and completion of one year of college level coursework in engineering, mathematics, computers, or science or related subjects with three (3) years experience in data analysis, computers, or engineering with Windows experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Florida driverís license.
EXAMINATION: Written test. 2 hours. Non-programmable, scientific calculators are provided by the Employment Services Office. Applications must be submitted and approved prior to testing. (Photo Identification is required at time of testing.) Applicants must telephone the Employment Services Office to schedule an appointment for the written test.
Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of December 30, 2013. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
12/30/2013 will not be processed.