(024) $16.78 - $23.91 an hour     $34,902.40 - $49,732.80 a year|
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will serve as personal administrative assistants to department directors or higher level division managers, perform as lead workers over other office personnel, or perform highly specialized, technical research and document preparation functions in a central services component.
- Relieves supervisor of many administrative details in matters not requiring policy decisions.
- Provides information concerning established policies and procedures.
- Responds to complaints or refers to appropriate respondent.
- Participates in information searches and compiles data on assigned projects; verifying accuracy of records/data.
- Utilizes computer to prepare correspondence, memoranda, reports, and other technical materials as directed and from rough draft where required.
- Edits materials to be typed to ensure proper grammar and punctuation, improving clarity, and correcting inaccuracies; proofreading own work.
- Composes correspondence independently or from general outlines.
- Develops forms and highly technical documents utilizing specialized computer software.
- Attends high level meetings and conferences as recording secretary; serving as administrative and/or recording secretary for major governing boards.
- Screens and routes telephone calls and visitors.
- Answers questions on the phone or in person to requests for information from the public, city, or other agencies; opening and distributing mail.
- Maintains calendar of appointments; scheduling meetings and conferences to include preparing travel documents when needed.
- Establishes and maintains files, control logs, and other office records, including confidential files and records.
- Orders and distributes supplies; maintains physical inventory of supplies, forms, and equipment; processes purchase requisitions.
- Prepares and/or monitors administrative and specialized budgets for department.
- Prepares cash receipts and depositing monies; preparing records for archiving.
- Serves in lead capacity over lower-level clerical personnel.
- Assigns, directs and reviews work.
- Operating, cleaning, and performing minor adjustments and limited maintenance on a variety of office machines and related equipment.
- Coordinates maintenance, repair, and servicing of equipment and/or facilities.
- Performs related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of business English, mathematics, and accepted practices of grammar and composition.
- Knowledge of standard office practices, equipment usage, and procedures.
- Knowledge of Oracle and Kronos.
- Advanced knowledge of omputer skills in Microsoft Office Programs: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook.
- Working knowledge of rules, regulations, administrative procedures, policies, and functions of the assigned department.
- Ability to compose, edit, and correct draft correspondence and reports.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain files and records; prepare reports.
- Ability to lead and train clerical personnel.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability and skill in: typing, operation of computers; taking and transcribing dictation, if required; operation and minor maintenance of office machinery and equipment.
Graduation from an accredited high school and five (5) years office or secretarial experience including experience in operation of computers; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Bilingual communication skills are desirable.
- Performance Test of typing ability (passing is 55 wpm with a maximum of 5 errors).
- Written Test (Time Limit: 1-1/2 hours).
- Applicants must telephone the Employment Services Office (813-274-8911) to schedule an appointment for the written test. Submit your application first, then call our office to verify you are qualified to test. (Photo Identification is required at time of testing.)
- Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of March 4, 2014. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
3/4/2014 will not be processed.