(024) $16.78 - $23.91 an hour     $34,902.40 - $49,732.80 a year|
JOB CODE: 006313
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will perform skilled and lead work involving general maintenance and repair of municipal facilities and equipment.
- Serving as principal assistant to a maintenance supervisor in directing general maintenance and repair activities including carpentry, painting, plumbing, welding, roofing, plastering, masonry, and electrical repair of municipal facilities and equipment.
- Planning, installing and operating telemetric irrigation controllers and Motorola central computer system.
- Repairing and maintenance of pools and decorative and interactive fountains.
- Instructing personnel in use of safe work practices.
- Distributing work orders and explaining to crew the nature of assignments to be performed.
- Performing demonstration of work sequences, as necessary.
- Inspecting work for conformance to accepted standards.
- Transporting people, materials, tools, and equipment to and from sites.
- Reading, interpreting, and working from blueprints, diagrams, and schematics.
- Performing general skilled and semi-skilled assignments in mechanical maintenance and repair of Parks and Recreation facilities, equipment, and devices including carpentry, painting, plumbing, welding, plastering, electrical repair and pipefitting.
- Repairing, installing electrical systems, electrical wiring and fixtures, and lighting equipment.
- Installing new plumbing such as pipes, valves, and faucets.
- Installing pumps, valves and compressors.
- Participating in installation and repair of sprinkler and underground irrigation systems, including laying pipes and electrical lines.
- Maintaining up-to-date inventory and payroll records; compiles necessary reports; orders supplies and equipment, when assigned by the supervisor.
- Overseeing maintenance and repair operation in absence of supervisor.
- Performing related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Considerable knowledge of: methods, practices, tools, and materials used in general maintenance and repair of buildings, facilities, and equipment; occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions.
Some knowledge of: basic records keeping.
Ability to: perform and instruct others in performance of a variety of building maintenance and repair activities requiring physical strength; oversee and review work of others; maintain records and compile reports; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; read and interpret single line diagrams and schematics.
Skill in: use and care of hand tools, power tools, and other related equipment; operation of various types of motor vehicles; operation of computers with basic knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited high school or vocational school and one (1) year experience in the maintenance and repair of irrigation, pools and fountains, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Special Qualificatons: Experience in temporary utilities ( Power, Water, Telephone, etc.)is preferred.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Florida driverís license; a valid Florida commercial driverís license might be required. (A photocopy of the License must be submitted with the application.)
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of March 24, 2014. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
3/24/2014 will not be processed.