City Of Tampa
Department of Human
APPLY AT: City of Tampa|
City Hall, 2nd Floor, corner of
Kennedy Blvd. and Florida Avenue
306 E. Jackson St., Tampa, FL 33602
HOURS: 8 AM 5 PM, Mon. thru Fri.
Job News Line
Equal Opportunity Employer-F/M/H/V
Solid Waste Supervisor II
(S13) $47,840.00 - $71,593.60 a year
JOB CODE: 007520
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will be responsible for performing supervisory work involving solid waste collection activities in a variety of areas.
- Supervises and coordinates a variety of moderately complex solid waste collection activities including residential, commercial, and special trash services in a designated area within a district.
- Provides guidance and assistance to subordinate supervisory personnel in solving the more difficult problems and in coordinating personnel management activities including discipline administration, performance appraisals, training, and employee selection.
- Supervises the resolution of complaints relative to assigned work and takes appropriate action.
- Provides direction and supervision regarding unusual or complex maintenance problems.
- Acts as a liaison concerning vehicle and equipment complaints.
- Provides training and assistance to subordinate supervisors and employees to ensure the proper use and care of equipment and application of safety methods.
- Monitors progress of daily operations, and reassigns employees and makes route changes as necessary.
- Conducts safety meetings and crew out briefings.
- Performs quarterly reviews of all drivers.
- Implements and oversees the ongoing development and presentation of mandated divisional safety programs to meet City requirements.
- Receives, reviews, and resolves customer complaints regarding collection programs.
- Keeps superiors advised of all developments and work progress.
- Makes field reviews of work in progress and determines whether assignments have been completed properly and in accordance with policies.
- Prepares oral and written reports.
- Performs related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGES, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of methods, materials, techniques, and equipment used in a variety of refuse removal activities.
- Knowledge of the city, its geography and street networks; operation and care of vehicles and equipment utilized in solid waste activities.
- Knowledge of vehicle maintenance scheduling techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of with the ability to learn: OSHA, DOT, American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and other related federal, state and local regulations.
- Working knowledge of effective supervisory techniques.
- Working knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Working knowledge of construction, assembly, and maintenance requirements of diversified refuse collection vehicles and equipment.
- Working knowledge of materials, supplies, tools, and equipment stored and/or used in solid waste operations.
- Working knowledge of clerical and financial record keeping as employed in warehousing operations.
- Working knowledge of prior application of Smith System driver training.
- Ability to plan, assign, supervise, and review the work of subordinate employees.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials, and the general public.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and effectively carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare concise oral and written reports.
- Ability to work independently, make decisions and reach suitable decisions according to City policy and department philosophy.
- Ability to develop short and long range work plans that are proven to be operationally, administratively, and financially sound.
- Skill in the use of computers and general knowledge of Microsoft applications.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited high school or vocational school and five (5) years progressively responsible experience in a solid waste operation including two (2) – three (3) years in supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.Possession of a valid State of Florida driver’s license.
Preferred Requirements: An Associates degree. Three (3) years of solid waste supervisory experience.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES:
Ability to obtain NIMS 100, 200, 700., Hazwoper and SWANA certification within six (6) month of employment.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of August 5, 2013. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
4-26-13; 8/5/13 (380800)
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
8/5/2013 will not be processed.
This office reserves the right not to consider those
applications that have incomplete information, or
that are received without necessary transcripts,
certificates, licenses, or other required documents.