City Of Tampa
Department of Human
APPLY AT: City of Tampa|
City Hall, 2nd Floor, corner of
Kennedy Blvd. and Florida Avenue
306 E. Jackson St., Tampa, FL 33602
HOURS: 8 AM 5 PM, Mon. thru Fri.
Job News Line
Equal Opportunity Employer-F/M/H/V
Automated Collection Driver
(025) $17.45 - $24.86 an hour     $36,296.00 - $51,708.80 a year
APPLICANTS MUST BE CURRENTLY EMPLOYED WITH THE CITY OF TAMPA SOLID WASTE DEPARTMENT.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected applicant will be responsible for the collection of solid waste on an assigned commercial and/or residential route utilizing an automated sanitation collection vehicle.
- Driving and operating a fully automated front loader, fully automated side loader, or rear-loading refuse collection vehicle
- Operating various mechanisms for functions such as lifting, loading, and unloading refuse from residential and commercial locations.
- Performing physical tasks relating to loading material into designated hoppers.
- Performing a wide variety of routine duties in assisting in solid waste equipment maintenance and service operation as assigned.
- Performing physical tasks relating to curbside service and special backdoor service when assigned to residential collection
- Completing daily vehicle inspection & reports maintenance requirements;
- Assuring vehicle is properly equipped, serviced and cleaned.
- Operating vehicle radio and understanding standard operational radio procedures.
- Educating citizens on current collection procedures for fully automated refuse collection systems.
- Providing information regarding schedules and updates of service.
- Reporting violations of refuse collection regulations to supervisor.
- Making special runs as assigned in attending to resolve complaints.
- Performing other related duties.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the principles of routing and operation of packer type refuse collection trucks to include large trucks equipped with hydraulic packing equipment.
- Knowledge of operation and maintenance characteristics of solid waste collection vehicles used in solid waste operation.
- Knowledge of occupational hazard and appropriate safety precautions.
- Knowledge of traffic ordinances and regulations governing heavy duty equipment operation.
- Ability to systematically evaluate needed repairs and make minor operating adjustments to equipment .
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to prepare and maintain routine records and reports of activities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the public.
- Ability to read maps and navigate area streets to effectively collect service locations.
- Ability to perform work requiring physical strength and endurance during all types of weather.
- Ability to complete and submit oral and written reports in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with others.
- Skill in the safe operation and care of all assigned equipment including front end loading and side loading automated vehicles of any capacity.
- Skill and ability to operate an automated refuse collection truck.
QUALIFICATIONS: High school or vocational school graduation and three (3) years experience in the operation of one or more of the following three types of equipment: front-loading commercial refuse container trucks, side-loading or rear-loading manually loaded refuse collection vehicles with packer and dump; and six (6) months experience in performing heavy physical work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS: Automated front loading commercial refuse container truck operational skills is preferred.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Florida Commercial Driver’s License Class “A” or Class “B” with Air Brakes.
Certificate of Training issued by the Solid Waste Department that demonstrates fully automated refuse vehicle operational skills.
Submit photocopies of CDL and Training Certificate with application.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of May 27, 2013. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
5/27/2013 will not be processed.
This office reserves the right not to consider those
applications that have incomplete information, or
that are received without necessary transcripts,
certificates, licenses, or other required documents.