City Of Tampa
Department of Human
APPLY AT: City of Tampa|
City Hall, 2nd Floor, corner of
Kennedy Blvd. and Florida Avenue
306 E. Jackson St., Tampa, FL 33602
HOURS: 8 AM 5 PM, Mon. thru Fri.
Job News Line
Equal Opportunity Employer-F/M/H/V
Lead Automated Collection Drv
(027) $18.54 - $26.38 an hour     $38,563.20 - $54,870.40 a year
APPLICANTS MUST BE CURRENT CITY OF TAMPA EMPLOYEES.
JOB PURPOSE: Performs lead skilled work in the coordination and operation of a fully automated front loader, fully automated side loader, or rear-loading refuse collection vehicle.
- Operating trucks and the associated hydraulic packing devices.
- Assisting in solid waste equipment maintenance and service operations as assigned.
- Performing physical tasks relating to curbside service and special backdoor service when assigned to residential collection.
- Training and instructing new collectors/drivers.
- Operating vehicle radio.
- Completing daily vehicle inspection reports and daily collection route information and time reports.
- Applying computer skills.
- Performing related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the principles of heuristic routing and operation of packer type refuse collection trucks to include large trucks equipped with hydraulic packing equipment.
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance characteristics of solid waste collection vehicles used in solid waste operation; occupational hazard and appropriate safety precautions.
- Knowledge of traffic ordinances and regulations governing heavy-duty equipment operation.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions required of the work.
- Skill in the safe operation and care of all assigned equipment including front-end loading and side loading automated vehicles of any capacity.
- Ability to systematically evaluate needed repairs and make minor operating adjustments related equipment.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to prepare and maintain routine records and reports of activities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the public.
- Ability to read maps and navigate area streets to effectively collect service locations.
- Ability to perform work requiring physical strength and endurance during all types of weather.
- Ability to oversee and assign work.
- Ability to complete and submit oral and written reports in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to apply computer skills to perform functional assignments relative to employee attendance, operational productivity, e-mails, etc.
- Skill and ability to operate an automated refuse collection truck.
QUALIFICATIONS: High-school or vocational school graduation and five (5) years experience in the operation of one or more of the following three types of equipment: front-loading commercial refuse container trucks, side-loading or rear-loading manually loaded refuse collection vehicles with packer and dump; and six (6) months experience in performing heavy physical work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.Must successfully demonstrate operational skill-sets for fully automated refuse collection vehicle.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Florida Commercial Driver’s License, Class “A” or Class “B” with Air Brakes.
Certificate of Training issued by the Solid Waste Dept. that successfully demonstrates operational skills for a fully automated refuse collection vehicle. Note: Submit photocopies of CDL and Training Certificate with application.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of June 5, 2013. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
6/5/2013 will not be processed.
This office reserves the right not to consider those
applications that have incomplete information, or
that are received without necessary transcripts,
certificates, licenses, or other required documents.