City Of Tampa
Department of Human
DEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITY
APPLY AT: City of Tampa|
City Hall, 2nd Floor, corner of
Kennedy Blvd. and Florida Avenue
306 E. Jackson St., Tampa, FL 33602
HOURS: 8 AM 5 PM, Mon. thru Fri.
Job News Line
Equal Opportunity Employer-F/M/H/V
Fleet Control Technician
(027) $18.54 - $26.38 an hour     $38,563.20 - $54,870.40 a year
JOB CODE: 421000
APPLICANTS MUST BE CURRENTLY EMPLOYED WITH CITY OF TAMPA NEIGHBORHOOD SERVICES DEPARTMENT
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will be responsible for ensuring the proper control and accounting of assigned vehicles, equipment and tools, coordinating vehicle and equipment acquisition and the assignment of vehicles and equipment to work crews.
- Coordinates the assignment of department’s construction and maintenance vehicles and off-road equipment based on job priorities and equipment availability.
- Debriefs automotive equipment operators and conducts physical inspections of vehicles.
Coordinates vehicle and equipment acquisition with leadership team and team leaders.
- Performs research to aid in the preparation, review and /or updating of specifications for equipment acquisition.
- Participates in vehicle and equipment budget preparation and monitoring.
- Makes recommendations for altering preventive maintenance criteria based on changing operating conditions.
- Conducts research relative to vehicles and equipment utilized in the department to aid in the preparation, review, and/or updating of specifications for equipment acquisition.
- Conducts data base information search operations to gather relevant information.
- Delivers vehicles or obtains transportation of vehicles to outside repair shops or dealers for warranty work.
- Reviews schedules for vehicles in for unscheduled repairs to determine whether preventative maintenance inspection should be performed and maintains records.
- Investigates and prepares reports relative to the department on vehicle and equipment accidents resulting in property damage and bodily injury, theft and vandalism.
- Identifies cases of vehicle and equipment abuse and/or neglect.
- Coordinates with Training and Safety Specialist on training needs.
- Oversees and/or performs activities involving the receipt, verification, inventory, issuance, and delivery of various supplies, parts, materials, instruments, tools, and equipment.
- Maintains inventories and requisitions materials as needed.
- Directs the return of defective or incorrect items and the disposal, repair or replacement of depreciated, worn, damaged, or obsolete stock.
- Operates a lightweight motor vehicle as required to pick up and deliver materials.
- Loads and unloads items from truck, including supplies, equipment, and materials utilizing forklift, platform truck, etc., as required.
- Implements the ordering of equipment, parts, and materials for specialized maintenance and repair, some of which require parts that are unique and/or must meet highly defined tolerances that are critical to maintaining an on-going operation.
- Establishes and maintains effective communications networks with supply vendors, city purchasing and stores for the process of procuring equipment, parts, and other maintenance materials; solicits competitive material and supply quotes from vendors.
- Provides vendors with necessary parts and equipment information to affect accurate and competitive pricing.
- Establishes contacts with other departments to coordinate equipment purchases and resolutions.
- Performs related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGES, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
Working knowledge of: the operation and care of vehicles and equipment utilized in the Neighborhood Services Department; equipment scheduling techniques and procedures; the construction, assembly and maintenance requirements of diversified construction vehicles and equipment; specification preparation; equipment and vehicle records keeping and report writing.
Some knowledge of: equipment and vehicle records keeping and report writing; automotive inspection techniques and procedures; automotive repair scheduling procedures and techniques.
Ability to: conduct vehicle and equipment inspections for malfunctions; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees; follow oral and written instructions, and prepare and submit clear, accurate and complete reports orally and in writing; operate a variety of heavy maintenance vehicles and equipment; perform preventive maintenance and minor repairs on small engines when necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited high school or vocational school and three (3) years of experience in: operation, maintenance or repair of a variety of heavy maintenance/construction vehicles and equipment, servicing, maintaining, and repairing automotive and mechanical equipment preferably including one (1) year of experience in diagnosing malfunctions in automotive vehicles and/or equipment to determine repair and maintenance requirements, and/or storekeeping, warehousing, or purchasing experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES:Possession of a valid Florida Commercial Driver’s License, Class “B” with Air Brakes and Tanker endorsements. (Submit copy of license with application)
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: To be considered for this position, your application must be received or postmarked by the closing date of June 5, 2013; applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
6/5/2013 will not be processed.
This office reserves the right not to consider those
applications that have incomplete information, or
that are received without necessary transcripts,
certificates, licenses, or other required documents.