City Of Tampa
Department of Human
APPLY AT: City of Tampa|
City Hall, 2nd Floor, corner of
Kennedy Blvd. and Florida Avenue
306 E. Jackson St., Tampa, FL 33602
HOURS: 8 AM 5 PM, Mon. thru Fri.
Job News Line
Equal Opportunity Employer-F/M/H/V
Lead Bldg Mtc Tradesworker
(028) $19.27 - $27.41 an hour     $40,081.60 - $57,012.80 a year
JOB CODE: 640300
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will perform skilled and lead work at the journeyman level in connection with the general maintenance and repair to, limited construction of, and upgrade and remodeling in City buildings and facilities.
- Supports the general maintenance supervisor in a lead capacity.
- Serves in a lead capacity, inspecting work in progress, providing advice and assistance to tradesworkers, and coordinating work progress with the supervisor and/or the department for whom work is being performed.
- Participates in projects through the application of specialized journeyman level skills in multiple trades areas performing tasks in the repair, modification, and maintenance of municipal buildings and facilities, including rough and finish carpentry, masonry, painting, plastering, roofing, flooring, etc.
- Responsible for emergency maintenance and repairs of city buildings and related facilities and the limited construction of buildings and facilities.
- Leads tradesworkers and performs general and specialized work in the installation, renovation, modification, maintenance, and repair of buildings and allied structures.
- Oversees and participates in work of trades crews engaged in the general maintenance and repair.
- Ensures necessary tools and materials are available, checks work for conformance to standards, and offers advice and instruction; verifies work instructions.
- Reports work progress to supervisor.
- Previews jobs and prepares materials lists; picks up materials; prepares and maintains time, material and related work records; may coordinate work projects with department for whom work is performed.
- Performs related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGES, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
Considerable knowledge of: methods, practices, materials, tools, and equipment of building maintenance and repair work; a variety of building construction trades (e.g. carpentry, painting, masonry, roofing, etc.).
Working knowledge of: occupational hazards associated with building maintenance, repair and construction and of pertinent safety measures and precautions.
Some knowledge of: basic records keeping; local building codes.
Ability to: instruct others in the performance of a variety of building maintenance and repair activities; oversee and review work of others; read and interpret blueprints, sketches and oral and written instructions and to determine materials needs and estimate job time; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other city employees and the general public; lift heavy construction and maintenance materials [such as platforms, partitions, lumber, etc.]; operate motor vehicles, including trucks; climb ladders and work in high places.
Skill: in the use and care of hand and electrical lifts, tools and equipment used in carpentry and building and maintenance trades.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited high school or vocational school and five (5) years of experience in building maintenance and repair work including in a variety of trades areas, with one (1) year of experience in interior finish work and six (6) months in lead experience in planning and coordinating work of a building maintenance crew on a project basis; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Florida driverís license; a valid Florida Commercial driverís license may be required.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of July 30, 2013. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
7/30/2013 will not be processed.
This office reserves the right not to consider those
applications that have incomplete information, or
that are received without necessary transcripts,
certificates, licenses, or other required documents.