City Of Tampa
Department of Human
APPLY AT: City of Tampa|
City Hall, 2nd Floor, corner of
Kennedy Blvd. and Florida Avenue
306 E. Jackson St., Tampa, FL 33602
HOURS: 8 AM 5 PM, Mon. thru Fri.
Job News Line
Equal Opportunity Employer-F/M/H/V
Landscape & Irrigation Speclst
(023) $15.86 - $22.53 an hour
PART-TIME: 30 hours.
JOB CODE: 106000
BENEFITS: Option to join the Cityís health and dental programs at full-cost; paid holidays, pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans, plus those benefits required by law such as social security and workerís compensation.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will be performing responsible and technical work reviewing landscape and irrigation work under the responsibility of the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Reviews landscapes to ensure they are growing properly.
- Checks and maintains irrigation systems to ensure they are operating efficiently.
- Receives complaints relative to contractor performance and takes appropriate action.
- Makes regular field reviews of work in progress and determines if requirements have been completed in accordance with landscape and irrigation practices and department policies.
- Monitoring and maintenance of the general landscape and irrigation system, and repair activities including carpentry, irrigation, potable water components, masonry, radio equipment, and low voltage electrical repair.
- Meets with vendors as required to communicate problems/requests and reports back to the supervisor.
- Reads, interprets, and works from blueprints, diagrams, and schematics, in addition to following verbal instructions.
- Prepares oral and written reports.
- Works independently to conduct inspections and repairs of existing landscapes and irrigation systems in absence of a supervisor.
- Performs related work as required.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGES, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of standard landscape and irrigation office practices, procedures and equipment; office
- Knowledge of records keeping practices and methods;
- Knowledge of business English, grammar and composition;
- Knowledge of methods, materials, techniques, and equipment used in the preparation of reports;
- Knowledge of the city, its geography and street networks;
- Knowledge of method, practices, tools and materials used in general landscape and irrigation,
- Knowledge of maintenance and repair of Irrigation systems/equipment, and installation of new irrigation systems;
- Knowledge of potable water systems/equipment; occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions.
- Knowledge of basic record keeping; computers and various software programs including work processing and spreadsheets.
- Working knowledge of plant material and water requirements, plant deficiency markers, pest and other biological controls, transportation and installation procedures.
- Working knowledge of sprinkler systems and equipment installation and repair.
- Working knowledge of computer controlled irrigation systems to include pumps and motors.
- Working knowledge of plumbing to include installation and repair of water fountains, hose bibs, water meters, backflow preventers, and quick couplers.
- Ability to read, comprehend, interpret, and apply contract and grant requirements.
- Ability to conduct research and analytical activities.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to manage and prioritize work effectively to meet reporting deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with city employees, the general public and with representatives of contractors and/or grantors.
- Ability to prepare oral and written reports.
- Ability to understand, interpret and effectively carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare concise oral and written reports.
- Ability to read and interpret irrigation plans and contracts where appropriate.
- Ability to perform a variety of irrigation maintenance and repair activities requiring physical strength.
- Ability to work from oral and written instructions, blueprints or drawings; maintain working relationships with others.
- Skill in computer software programs including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Skill in the use and care of hand tools, power tools, and other related equipment.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited high School or vocational school and one (1) year of experience in landscaping and/or irrigation work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Florida driverís license; a valid Florida Commercial driverís license may be required.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of education and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of August 30, 2013. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
8/30/2013 will not be processed.
This office reserves the right not to consider those
applications that have incomplete information, or
that are received without necessary transcripts,
certificates, licenses, or other required documents.