City Of Tampa
Department of Human
APPLY AT: City of Tampa|
City Hall, 2nd Floor, corner of
Kennedy Blvd. and Florida Avenue
306 E. Jackson St., Tampa, FL 33602
HOURS: 8 AM 5 PM, Mon. thru Fri.
Job News Line
Equal Opportunity Employer-F/M/H/V
Engineering Technician III N/S
(032) $22.53 - $32.10 an hour     $46,862.40 - $66,768.00 a year
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
- Performing a variety of sub-professional engineering assignments involving construction compliance inspections on major municipal building, civil, and utility construction projects and conducting detailed, continuous reviews of materials, work methods, and workmanship.
- Coordinating, scheduling, administering materials testing, monitoring of all construction reports and implements data management to document work performed.
- Coordinating project work with engineering consultants and contractors.
- Participating in performing compliance inspections.
- Managing data base-cross-connection control.
- Investigating field problems and recommends solutions.
- Preparing written inspection/construction reports of projects/activities in order to document work performed.
- Making periodic unscheduled checks of materials delivered to construction sites for compliance with specifications.
- Monitoring work practices and methods for acceptability and conformance to safety standards.
- Interviewing contractors and their employees to ensure labor laws and regulations are being observed.
- Contacting project developers to obtain required documentation.
- Coordinating maintenance, repair, installation, inspection, removal, and servicing of equipment and/or facilities. Coordinating project work with engineering, inspector, utilities, and contractors to keep project on schedule.
- Providing information and responding to complaints from the public relating to construction projects.
- Collecting data from other departments/agencies; developing cost and time estimates for projects.
- Conducting field investigations of complaints.
- Reviewing and providing feedback on preliminary construction plans and specifications.
- Preparing cost estimates of infrastructure construction for budget requirements; develops, drafts, revises, and recommends master plans for infrastructure improvements.
- Operating a lightweight vehicle for travel to worksites and a radio to communicate.
- Performing related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of inspection procedures.
- Knowledge of construction and landscaping practices, techniques, trades, and safety practices.
- Knowledge of mathematics.
- Working knowledge of common problems and solutions affecting building, civil, and utility construction.
- Working knowledge of configuration and purpose of major components of projects.
- Working knowledge of material standards and testing requirements for common components.
- Ability to conduct field inspections of construction and landscape projects.
- Ability to formulate recommendations.
- Ability to recognize factors which lead to unacceptable results or unsafe conditions.
- Ability to prepare accurate factual reports and maintain complete records.
- Ability to use testing instruments.
- Ability to read/interpret survey, engineering or architectural data, plans, and specifications.
- Ability to prepare project cost and time estimates.
- Ability to work effectively in a group setting.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials, and the general public.
QUALIFICATIONS: High-school graduation, with two (2) years of college course work in construction engineering or related subjects and five (5) years sub-professional engineering experience in construction inspection; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Note: An acceptable transcript of college coursework/credits may be requested.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Driverís License.
EXAMINATION: Written Test (Time Limit: 2 hours) Non-programmable, scientific calculators are provided. Applicants must telephone the Employment Services Office (813/274-8911) to schedule a test date/time. Applications must be submitted and approved prior to scheduling the test. (Photo Identification is required at time of testing.) Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
Submit your application first, then call our office to verify you are qualified to test. Applicants must telephone the Employment Services Office (813-274-8911) to schedule an appointment for the written test.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of September 6, 2013. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
9/6/2013 will not be processed.
This office reserves the right not to consider those
applications that have incomplete information, or
that are received without necessary transcripts,
certificates, licenses, or other required documents.