City Of Tampa
Department of Human
APPLY AT: City of Tampa|
City Hall, 2nd Floor, corner of
Kennedy Blvd. and Florida Avenue
306 E. Jackson St., Tampa, FL 33602
HOURS: 8 AM 5 PM, Mon. thru Fri.
Job News Line
Equal Opportunity Employer-F/M/H/V
Utility Technician Trainee
(019) $13.83 - $19.66 an hour     $28,766.40 - $40,892.80 a year
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; long-term disability and more.
JOB PURPOSE: As a Utility Technician Trainee your role will be to perform manual and semi-skilled construction, maintenance and repair work.
- Performing manual and semi-skilled construction, maintenance and repair work at Wastewater Collections.
- Operating hand and power tools and small equipment.
- Performing simple measurements; interpreting gauge and meter readings.
- Transporting materials, tools, and equipment to and from job sites; setting up and removing warning signs and traffic control devices with guidance.
- Participating in training to qualify for Utility Technician I.
- Performing related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Have the ability to perform tasks of a hazardous nature; work a non-standard schedule; work in a variety of weather conditions with extreme exposure to the elements.
- Have knowledge of proper safety practices; proper use of hand signals for equipment operations; gas detector equipment; pipe sizes and materials; confined space; directional flow of collection systems or water distribution systems; communications equipment.
- Have the ability to read and write; understand and follow oral and written instructions; read and interpret road maps; drive and work safely; perform work requiring physical strength; work in confined spaces; operate small equipment; work in a team atmosphere; be a self-starter, try new ideas, and acquire skill flexibility; communicate effectively; deal with and resolve conflict within a team; be courteous under pressure; establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the general public.
- Have skill in the use and care of basic hand and power tools; the use of small equipment; driving trucks.
QUALIFICATIONS: High school, technical or vocational school graduation.Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License. Submit copy of license with application.
REQUIRED LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES:
For current Collections vacancies: possession of a valid Florida CDL Class “A” with Tanker within six (6) months of employment. Preference will be given to individuals who already possess the valid Florida CDL Class “A” or “B” license with Airbrakes and Tanker endorsement.
SPECIAL JOB DEMANDS: Selected individuals must be able to demonstrate the matrix skill level to qualify for Utility Technician Trainee within a 6-month period. Technicians may only remain in this classification for 12 months and must be able to demonstrate a matrix skill level to qualify for Utility Technician I within a 12-month period.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing. Selected applicant must pass a federal background check for Port of Tampa access.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of September 10, 2013. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
9/10/2013 will not be processed.
This office reserves the right not to consider those
applications that have incomplete information, or
that are received without necessary transcripts,
certificates, licenses, or other required documents.