City Of Tampa
Department of Human
APPLY AT: City of Tampa|
City Hall, 2nd Floor, corner of
Kennedy Blvd. and Florida Avenue
306 E. Jackson St., Tampa, FL 33602
HOURS: 8 AM 5 PM, Mon. thru Fri.
Job News Line
Equal Opportunity Employer-F/M/H/V
Urban Planner II
(N33) $51,001.60 - $76,460.80 a year
JOB CODE: 000612
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will be responsible for performing highly professional urban planning work.
- Evaluate applications for development projects (rezoning, subdivision platting, incremental development, special use permits and construction permits), pursuant to City Code.
- Process and review various land development and zoning applications as well as delivering public presentations to all public boards of the City.
- Lead meetings with developers, property owners, and members of the public to discuss zoning applications and code related matters.
- Generate professional staff reports and memorandums based on City of Tampa Code and Tampa Comprehensive Plan criteria and professional planning opinion.
- Attend meetings after normal business hours and potentially on weekends depending on the assignment.
- Provide code compliance review of solid waste code standards for development projects going through the development site plan review process and serve as primary liaison between Land Development Coordination and the Solid Waste Department.
- Collect, assimilate, analyze and interpret data and indicators regarding municipal conditions and determines consistency with Cityís Comprehensive Plan, Land Development regulations and State and Federal growth management legislation, especially zoning, subdivision and developments of regional impacts (DRIís).
- Assist in the review of construction drawings and inspections of development projects as needed by Construction Service Division;
- Formulate and recommend procedures, guidelines, alternatives, code revisions, and priorities for implementing City codes and regulations and plans/projects.
- Evaluate site plans and development proposals prepared by outside agencies for consistency with Zoning and land development regulations.
- Reasonable initiative and independent judgment are necessary in performing analytical tasks and developing/presenting recommendations and documents related to work.
- Maintain communication with representatives of other departments and outside agencies to determine planning needs and provide assistance.
- Assist in answering requests from the public relating to the land development code.
- Perform related work as required.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGES, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of urban planning.
- Knowledge of MS Word, Power Point, and Excel.
- Knowledge of ARCGis, ArcMap.
- Experience in reviewing and applying land development and zoning regulations, preferably City of Tampa regulations.
- Ability read, evaluate and critique a development site plan and floor plan for compliance with land development regulations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to conduct research and analytical activities independently.
- Ability to collect, assimilate, analyze, and interpret data and draw sound conclusions.
- Ability to formulate sound recommendations and present them effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, municipal officials, and the general public.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a masterís degree in planning, public administration, or a related field and one (1) year urban planning experience related to the assigned area; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Some positions may require specialized training or experience as a condition for initial employment in this class.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of education and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open until further notice.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
10-29-13; 1-16-14 (000612)
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
1/16/2014 will not be processed.
This office reserves the right not to consider those
applications that have incomplete information, or
that are received without necessary transcripts,
certificates, licenses, or other required documents.