City Of Tampa
Department of Human
APPLY AT: City of Tampa|
City Hall, 2nd Floor, corner of
Kennedy Blvd. and Florida Avenue
306 E. Jackson St., Tampa, FL 33602
HOURS: 8 AM 5 PM, Mon. thru Fri.
Job News Line
Equal Opportunity Employer-F/M/H/V
Lead Utility Locator Technicia
(025) $17.45 - $24.86 an hour     $36,296.00 - $51,708.80 a year
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE:The selected candidate will be responsible for acting in a lead capacity and performing assignments which relate to locating various utility systems.
- Acts as lead worker and assists in the review, evaluation and delegation of subordinate work assignments.
- Determines resources needed for projects and ensures responses are returned to requests.
- Performs quality assurance checks.
- Assists in the development of new and the revision of existing standard operating procedures.
- Locates and marks location of water, reclaimed water or wastewater lines to prevent damage during construction, boring and digging operations.
- Maintains accurate records using paper and/or electronic systems and ensures subordinates are updated on revisions.
- Uses electronic and/or paper utility maps, engineering plans, computer programs and other drawings to assist in determining actual location of utilities.
- Uses electronic pipe locating equipment, ground penetrating radar (GPR), metal detectors, shovels, probing rods and measuring instruments to field verify the location of utilities.
- Identifies errors and/or make corrections to utilities maps and relay the information for GIS mapping updates.
- Ensures required equipment, supplies and materials are ordered. May review potential new equipment and provide feedback.
- Assists supervisor with ensuring locators are using current locating practices and equipment.
- Produces weekly, monthly and annual productivity reports.
- Tracks mapping errors and corrections and communicate information to other concerned divisions or departments.
- Meets with general public and contractors on site to respond to inquiries.
- Performs related work as required.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGES, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
Working knowledge of: construction practices and techniques; construction trades; safety practices in the construction industry; basic mathematics; use of computers; utility as-builts, utility maps, construction plans; and the Damage Prevention Guide published by Sunshine State One Call of Florida, Inc. as well as Chapter 556, Florida Statutes.
Some knowledge of: methods and techniques of engineering; municipal rules, regulations and ordinances relating to construction and landscaping activities; inspection practices and procedures; MS Word, Outlook, Google Earth, and ArcGIS mapping software; and the Damage Prevention Guide published by Sunshine State One Call of Florida, Inc. as well as Chapter 556, Florida Statutes.
Ability to: reach a logical conclusion; coordinate activities with others; follow moderately complex instructions and procedures; read and comprehend codes and requirements; read dials and gauges; lift and carry equipment for periods of short duration but repeatedly over the course of a day (occasionally requires heavy lifting); complete standard forms; perform mathematical computations rapidly and accurately; read and interpret engineering plans and specifications; prepare oral and written reports and maintain accurate records; interact, establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, officials and the general public; adhere to the guidelines of Sunshine State One Call of Florida; and Chapter 556 of the Florida Statutes.
QUALIFICATIONS:Graduation from an accredited high school and with one (1) year of experience in construction inspection, including 6 (six) months lead or supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.Possession of a valid Florida driverís license.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES:
ACES National or International Certification is preferred.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. Drug testing is included all pre-employment processing.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of May 16, 2014. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
4-22-14; 5-2-14 (362750)
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
5/16/2014 will not be processed.
This office reserves the right not to consider those
applications that have incomplete information, or
that are received without necessary transcripts,
certificates, licenses, or other required documents.