January 17, 2014 - Traffic is expected to be heavier than normal this weekend in downtown Tampa due to multiple events taking place that will attract large audiences. Drivers and pedestrians alike are advised to allow for extra travel time and travel through the area with caution.
On January 17, traffic and parking on the south end of downtown will be impacted by a capacity crowd of 18,000 arriving at the Tampa Bay Times Forum between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. for the Billy Joel concert. It Works! Global Inc. takes place at the Tampa Convention Center during the same hours with an expected attendance of 7,000. Both the concert and the conference will be exiting downtown at approximately 10 p.m.
City of Tampa Parking Lot & Garage Information for January 17:
On January 18 & 19, traffic and parking on the north end of downtown will be heavier than normal due to a matinee performance at the Straz Center and the Tampa Bay Black Heritage Festival taking place at Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park.
- South Regional Garage will be restricted to Forum Reserve Passes only.
- The Selmon Express Way Lots - $20 flat rate for the concert
- Tampa Convention Center Garage - $12 flate rate beginning at 5:30 p.m.
- Ft Brooke Garage and Whiting Street - Garage - $12 flat rate beginning at 5:30 p.m.
- All numbered spaces on Kennedy Blvd. and south of Kennedy Blvd. are enforced up until midnight at the standard hourly rate.
City of Tampa Parking Lot & Garage Information for January 18:
The Gasparilla Children’s Extravaganza also takes place on January 18 from 11 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. along Bayshore Boulevard from Watrous to Orleans Avenues. Road closures and rerouting in that area will be in effect. For more information on the Gasparilla parades, please visit the city’s web site.
- Poe Garage and Royal Regional Lot will open at 8 a.m. at the $4 flat rate. The Poe Garage rate will increase to $6 flat rate at 5:30 p.m.
- All meters north of Kennedy Blvd. will be free and on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Fort Brooke Garage will be open at 8 a.m. for $5. The shuttle to the parade will pick up at the Fort Brooke Garage, at the corner of Franklin and Whiting Street, from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. The cost is $5 per adult, children accompanied by an adult ride for free.
Those driving to the areas should expect increased traffic and parking facilities are expected to reach capacity. Please plan ahead, consider transit options, come early and stay late.
The above notice is archived content and may contain information that is no longer valid. This includes URL's that were valid when originally published, but may now link to sites or pages that no longer exist.