Tampa, FL June 11, 2012 - "Our parks are the foundation for our strength as a city, and I want those parks to be welcoming and user-friendly for residents and non-residents alike," said Mayor Bob Buckhorn. "Despite the city’s budget crunch, it's important to me that these programs, activities, and facilities are available and accessible to everyone in our community. The children who are in our parks facilities this summer are children who will not be at risk to the temptation of the streets."
The City of Tampa plans to offset the fee reductions with new customers signing up to take advantage of our facilities and variety classes. The City of Tampa Parks and Recreation Department currently offers after-school and summer programs, as well as a variety of recreational athletic leagues.
Mayor Buckhorn will make the following changes to the fee system:
The City of Tampa offers classes and various programming at 25 community centers and gymnasiums throughout the community. In addition, the City operates four art studios and 12 pools. To learn more about our programs and classes or to reserve a Parks facility, please visit tampagov.net/parksandrec.
- A Rec Card is required to participate in programs, classes and activities offered by the Tampa Parks and Recreation Department. Non-resident fees for a Rec Card will now be $30 annually per person, instead of $115 annually. The annual fee for residents is $15 per person.
- There will be no increase for youth participating in camps or after school activities.
- Athletic leagues will no longer require the double charge of a Rec Card and a league fee. Only the league fee will be required.
- Park shelters will be more welcoming for mid-size groups, ranging from 31 to 50 people, at a cost of $50. Previously, those groups had been charged at the large group rate of $75
- Gymnasium rentals will also be reduced. The practice rental fee will now be $75/hour, rather than $125/hour.
- Tournament and event rentals at gymnasiums will become more flexible. Users will be charged $200 for a two hour minimum and $500 as the maximum all day fee. Previously, the fee for users was set at $500 for a four hour minimum.
For additional information, please contact Parks and Recreation Director Greg Bayor at (813) 274-7730 or by email at Greg.Bayor@tampagov.net.
The above notice is archived content and may contain information that is no longer valid. This includes URL's that were valid when originally published, but may now link to sites or pages that no longer exist.