Tampa, FL August 9, 2012 - Mayor Buckhorn Presents FY2013 Budget Proposal
Mayor Bob Buckhorn presented his recommended Fiscal Year 2013 Budget to Tampa City Council this morning.
"For the second year in a row, we have found ways to make our City government more efficient and smaller while maintaining the quality of service that citizens expect. We faced a shortfall of nearly $30 million, but we have balanced the budget while continuing to invest in building strong neighborhoods and without making any layoffs. " said Mayor Bob Buckhorn.
The $804.4 million budget proposal is balanced while significantly increasing capital improvements to $104.8 million for investment in infrastructure like wastewater improvements, stormwater improvements and the Riverwalk.
Major projects include:
To make these investments the city closed a $27.8 million shortfall. Mayor Buckhorn focused on reducing operating costs and shrinking the size of government.
- Completion of the last two segments of the Tampa Riverwalk
- Continued rehabilitation of aquatic facilities like Williams Park Pool and parks including Perry Harvey Park, Julian B Lane Park, and Water Works Park
- Stormwater & wastewater projects, such as those around Drew Park and improvements to Krause Pumping station
- Transportation improvements at Fowler Avenue at 50th street
- North Tampa water pressure enhancement project
Here are the major ways in which Mayor Buckhorn’s proposal eliminated the shortfall:
Following the Mayor's presentation today, the City of Tampa will host three public hearings about the budget beginning on August 16, 2012.
- Eliminating vacant positions and reduced spending
- Reducing subsidy to parking fund by keeping costs down and restructuring debt
- An increase in convention center revenues
- Revising Tampa Sports Authority funding and funding sources
- Financing city contribution to a joint information technology improvement project with Hillsborough County
For more information, please visit tampagov.net/mayor.
The above notice is archived content and may contain information that is no longer valid. This includes URL's that were valid when originally published, but may now link to sites or pages that no longer exist.