Community Affairs FAQ

How can I file a discrimination complaint in employment, housing or public accommodations? 

You may come to the City of Tampa's Community Affairs Division where you will fill out a questionnaire with the information regarding your situation. Once reviewed and all the jurisdictional requirements are met, a complaint will be filed under the corresponding federal laws, and/or the City of Tampa Human Rights Ordinance.

The questionnaire forms are also available online (see below) which you can fill out and print. After the form is completed and signed, you can bring it to our office, mail it, or fax it. By filling out the online questionnaire, it does not mean that you have filed an official complaint.

Questionnaire Forms:Cuestionarios en Español:

Once we receive the questionnaire, a staff member will contact you by phone or mail, to discuss your situation and the filing process. There is no cost involved for this administrative process and no legal representation is needed.

If you have any questions regarding your particular circumstances, or if you would like to make an appointment to find out more about the process, please contact us.

Community Affairs Division
306 E. Jackson Street, 3N
Tampa, Florida 33602

Hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Phone: (813)274-5835
Fax: (813)274-5854

How long do I have to file a discrimination complaint?

A discrimination complaint may be filed with the City of Tampa Division of Community Affairs as soon as discrimination occurs, but no later than one hundred and eighty (180) days, or six months, from the date that the discriminatory event occurred. In some cases, housing discrimination complaints may be filed up to one year from the date of the discriminatory housing practice.

Which human rights laws are enforced by the City of Tampa?

The City of Tampa enforces local, state and federal laws that prohibit discrimination in the areas of employment, public accommodation and housing.

Who can file a charge of employment discrimination?

Any person who believes that they have been discriminated against by an employer, labor union or employment agency when applying for a job or on the job, may file a discrimination complaint under federal laws, or the City of Tampa Human Rights Ordinance, once the jurisdictional requirements are met.

Who can file a charge of discrimination in Public Accommodation?

If you believe that your rights of equal access and the full enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation have been denied, you may file a discrimination complaint under the City of Tampa Human Rights Ordinance, once the jurisdictional requirements are met.

Additional protection is available if you or someone associated with you has a physical or mental disability that substantially limits one or more major life activities.

Who can file a Housing discrimination complaint?

Housing discrimination occurs when you are restricted from living where you choose because of your race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, familial status and  marital status.

Every citizen has the right to equal access to all neighborhoods of their choice for decent and affordable housing. It is illegal to discriminate against any person:  

  • In the sale or rental of housing or residential lots.
  • In advertising the sale or rental of housing.
  • In the financing of housing.
  • In the provision of real estate brokerage services.

If you believe you have been discriminated against when seeking any of the above services for housing located within the City of Tampa limits, you can file a complaint at the Division of Community Affairs based on your protected class under the different Fair Housing laws.

What Happens After I file a Complaint?

The City of Tampa Division of Community Affairs notifies via mail both the Charging Party and the Respondent who will receive a copy of the charge and will be invited to mediation. If mediation fails, or if one party declines mediation, the charge will be investigated by a neutral trained civil rights investigator.

What is Mediation?

Mediation is a voluntary attempt to resolve the case at an early stage. In order for it to take place, both parties most agree to participate in a mediation conference which is an alternative to a full investigation.