The City's major budget and management objectives for FY99
and future years are as follows:
- Keep recurring expenses in line with recurring revenues.
- Use private enterprise to supply public services when such
agreements are cost effective.
- Use tax increment financing to combat blight and to promote
- Strive for continued excellence in budgeting and financial
- Review rates, fees and charges annually to be sure they
continue to reflect the cost of services.
- Limit rate increases to one major enterprise (water, sewer,
solid waste) a year, as necessary.
- Provide matching funds and "seed" money to
leverage grants and other assistance.
- Recognize employees for exceptional performance and
- Provide employee development by promoting training
- Offer City employees training, counseling and referral
services for stress, drug abuse and other personal difficulties.
- Stabilize labor relations through multi-year contracts.
- Promote the safety and welfare of Tampa's citizens by
controlling and preventing crime.
- Provide high quality utility services at reasonable rates.
- Develop long-range plans in order to meet demands for City
- Support City housing programs by public and private
- Contribute to the quality of life in Tampa by improving
leisure services and facilities.
- Continue support of the State Growth Management Act.
- Maintain existing infrastructure and require that
development contribute to growth related infrastructure improvements.
- Encourage public participation in developing solutions to
- Encourage the development of neighborhood organizations as
a means of public participation.
- Improve City's image through reduction of petty crime,
littering and illegal signage.
- Obtain the support of the business community for
improvements desired by the citizens.
- Utilize local universities and the business community where
their expertise might offer improvements to City performance.
- Promote participation of women and minority business
enterprises in City contracts.
- Improve planning for growth within the City by coordination
of various planning agency proposals.
- Cooperate with other local governments in matters of
- Develop proposals for the Hillsborough County Legislative
Delegation agenda on matters requiring State action.