TPD Personnel Unit
Our program is intended to provide the optimum utilization
of training resources and personnel in an environment that will facilitate
an introductory level of on-the-job training to probationary officers.
The Field Training and Evaluation Program (FTEP) structure is intended
to provide optimum utilization of training resources and personnel in a
dynamic environment to provide:
- A solid foundation for a law enforcement career with the Tampa Police Department.
- Evaluation of each participant based on established guidelines to ensure training integrity and reliability.
- An accurate and complete record of each participant's progress based on observed performance and testing.
- Training based on individual need.
10 Reasons for a Field Training & Evaluation Program
- A Court approved procedure, within EEOC Guidelines, for dealing with Affirmative Action Issues is provided.
- Increased support for management and administrative policies
- The possibility of negligent hiring, retention, training, and supervision issues are reduced.
- The cost of training is controlled in that non-qualified persons are not retained by the agency.
- Standardization of training and evaluation procedure is established.
- Individual competency is identified for promotional purposes; supervisory skills are practiced by line personnel prior to promotion.
- Another career path is available to the line Officer.
- Line Officers become more involved in decision making and work in a participative environment.
- The Probationary Officer assimilates job skills more rapidly with Field Training Officer guidance.
- Field Training Officers become more capable, knowledgeable and safer as a result of their role model responsibilities.