TampaGov home page
             My TampaGov    en Español

Traffic Unit FAQ

  1. If I receive a traffic citation, what are my options on how to handle it?Shooting Lasar

    A person who receives a traffic citation for a civil infraction has one of three options in which to take care of it within 30 days from the date that the citation was received.

    A) You may pay the fine that is indicated on the back of the citation within 30 days of receiving it. If you chose to pay the fine, points may be added to your driving record.

    B) You may elect to contest the citation by setting up a court date and having your case heard before a County judge or Magistrate.

    C) You may elect to attend a Driver Improvement School. Attending the Driver Improvement School will result in points not being added to your driving record. ...more about traffic school

    For more information or to pay for a traffic violation on-line, go to: www.hillsclerk.com

  2. What can I do if I have lost my copy of the traffic citation?

    If you have lost your copy of the traffic citation you will need to contact the Hillsborough County Traffic Clerk of the Court at: Floriland Business Center, 9309 N. Florida Av., Suite 103, 33612 - (813) 276-2029 or on-line at: www.hillsclerk.com

  3. I have a problem with people speeding in my neighborhood, what can I do about it?Speed Limit Sign

    Complaints of speeding, stop sign violations or any other traffic concern can be reported to the Traffic / Motor Unit who will follow up on your complaint. They can be contacted at: Tampa Police Department Traffic Unit 411 N. Franklin St Tampa, FL 33602 (813) 276-3471

  4. I saw an illuminated speed sign in another neighborhood the other day. How can I get that in my neighborhood?

    The traffic speed sign is primarily used in conjunction with ongoing traffic complaints. However, when complaints are done, it is possible to request that the sign be placed in your neighborhood for a day to monitor traffic.

  5. How does the illuminated speed sign work?

    The traffic speed sign is sent out daily to different locations within the city to alert motorists and to educate them on the speed limit posted on the road that they are traveling upon. It is primarily used in conjunction with traffic complaints as there is a computer built into the system that records vehicle counts, speed and average speed based upon the volume of traffic. This determines the need for additional enforcement or recommendations to other city departments for action.

  1. What are the top traffic violations that cause traffic crashes?

    1. Following Too Closely
    2. Unlawful Speed
    3. D.U.I.
    4. Violation of Right of Way
    5. Violation of Traffic Control Devices (Failed to stop at stop sign, red light)

  2. What do I do if I am involved in traffic crash?

    First and foremost, check on injuries. If there are injuries dial 911 so as to activate emergency medical personnel and local law enforcement.

    1. If there are no injuries, move vehicles from the roadway so as to     allow other motorists to continue on. Florida State Statute 316.027 (3) states that each driver shall make every reasonable effort to remove the vehicle from the traffic way so as not to obstruct traffic.
    2. Be prepared to display your driver's license, current vehicle registration and current proof of insurance to either law enforcement personnel or to the other driver if law enforcement is not called to the scene.

  3. Am I required to contact Law Enforcement if I am involved in a traffic crash?

    Florida State Statute 316.065 (1) requires that a person must notify local law enforcement immediately if they are involved in a traffic crash that involves injury, death or damage to any vehicle or property totaling at least $500.00.

  4. How can I obtain a copy of a traffic crash report?

    You can obtain a copy of traffic crash from the Tampa Police Department records section.

  5. What are the requirements for motorists when approaching a police or medical vehicle that has their emergency lights activated on the side of the road?

    Effective July 1, 2002 the "Move Over Act" went into effect. Florida State Statute 316.126 in brief states: 

    When an authorized emergency vehicle making use of any visual signals is parked, the driver of every other vehicle, as soon as it is safe: shall vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle when driving on an interstate highway or other multi-lane road, except when otherwise directed by law enforcement.

    They shall reduce to a speed which is 20 mph less than that of the posted speed when the speed is posted at 25 mph or greater; or travel at 5 mph when the speed limit is posted is 20 mph or less, when driving on a two-lane road, except when otherwise directed by law enforcement.

  6. If I am 15 to 17 years old, how long should I hold a Florida Learner's License?

    you must hold it for at least 12 months without a traffic conviction before you may apply for an Operator's License until you are 18. You may avoid a conviction by electing to attend and complete traffic school.