Sec. 27-177. Historic district established.
(a) Generally. The "Ybor City Historic District" is hereby established as two areas designated as the Original Ybor City Historic District and the Expanded Ybor City Historic District. Together the area is known as the Ybor City Historic District.
(1) The Original Ybor City Historic District contains the following zoning districts:
a. YC-1 central commercial core. This sub district comprises the cultural, social, shopping and service heart of the Ybor City Historic District. The regulations are intended to preserve and enhance its touristic, cultural and economic functions by preserving its rich mixture of land uses, relatively modest intensity of development, low-rise structures and distinctive architecture.
b. YC-2 residential. This sub district comprises land devoted to residential development including single-family and multifamily dwellings. The regulations are intended to preserve and conserve this predominately single-family and two-family housing form, and to encourage the development of vacant tracts suitable for residential uses.
c. YC-3 Hillsborough Community College. This sub district comprises land devoted to and designated for development as part of the Hillsborough Community College and supporting related uses.
d. YC-4 mixed use redevelopment. This sub district comprises mainly vacant land designated for neighborhood redevelopment which will support and enhance the touristic, cultural and economic functions of the Ybor City district, providing an urban mixed use core coincident to the revitalization of the district's commercial core. In addition to residential development, mixed use developments comprising residential dwellings, supporting personal services, and retail sale of convenience goods will be encouraged. Office development will be considered, in appropriate locations, subject to compliance with each of the following performance criteria:
1. Nonresidential development must be designed to be compatible with existing or potential future residential uses;
2. Compliance with design guidelines of the Barrio Latino Commission, including the applicable criteria set forth in section 27-184 is required.
e. YC-5 general commercial. This sub-district comprises land used and designated for retail and commercial service operations primarily to serve the residents of the immediate area.
f. YC-6 community commercial. This sub-district comprises land devoted to general and intensive commercial uses located on the southern fringe of the historic district and which will provide a transition to the industrial uses south of the historic district.
g. YC-7 mixed use. The purpose of the YC-7 sub-district is to allow the development of land uses that are consistent with the adopted future land use element of the Tampa Comprehensive Plan, encourage maximum land development opportunities that are well designed, provide for a balanced mixed use development, including residential, commercial and office uses, which contribute to the approximate mix of land uses needed to ensure a viable economic base to the historic district.
h. YC-9 site planned controlled. The purpose of the YC-9 sub-district is to allow the development of land uses that are in conformance with the adopted future land use element of the Tampa Comprehensive Plan while encouraging well-designed developments that:
1. Are characterized by unique conditions or situations which other zoning districts cannot accommodate including, but specifically not limited to unusual physical or environmental features, transportation, access, etc.; or
2. Include a mixture of appropriate land uses which may not otherwise be permitted in other districts.
(2) The Expanded Ybor City Historic District consists of property directly east and south of the original district which is being impacted by the development and growth occurring in the original district. It contains a high concentration of historic structures and redevelopment potential where assurance is needed that the design of new structures and renovated existing structures and use of property is compatible with the Ybor Historic District. Property may be considered for rezoning to any YC sub-district provided the petition is consistent with section 27-2, Consistency Matrix, including: YC-8 residential. The purpose of the YC-8 district is to allow the development of single family detached residential dwellings on relatively large lots in the Expanded Historic District. The regulations are intended to preserve and conserve this predominately single-family housing form, and to encourage the development of vacant tracts suitable for residential uses.