Special Fire Safety Requirements for Spraying Flammable or Combustible Finishes inside Buildings
From: Fire Marshal M. M. Stone
Date: October 2, 1997
Application shall be in accordance with NFPA #33 and the
Standard Fire Prevention Code, Chapter 10.
conditions apply to application in previously
Cleared-for-Occupancy buildings within the City of Tampa,
* Obtain necessary permit from Fire
* Applicant shall provide floor plan and/or
key plan showing "spray area" and all exits, exitways,
fire alarm pull stations, etc., when applying for a permit.
* A person(s) designated "fire &
safety-specialist" to handle safety equipment and
extinguisher, and shall remain near an extinguisher, alert, while
spraying is in progress. So designated on permit application.
* Two 4 A 60 BC fire extinguishers shall be
within 50 ft. of spraying at all times.
* Electric power shall be cut off to entire
area while spraying is in progress.
* No smoking, welding or open flames on
floor while spraying is in progress.
* Only OSHA approved power-cords and
explosion-proof light fixtures shall be used to provide power and
lighting, and all equipment shall be grounded to inhibit sparks.
* Use only spark-proof fans and duct hose
designed for safely removing fumes to building exterior.
Sufficient ventilation shall be used to eliminate vapor build-up
as installation of material proceeds.
Back to Permit and
Specific Case Information Page
Top of Page