About Mayor's Youth Corps
The Mayor's Youth Corps provides young people with a voice to the Mayor of
the City of Tampa; opportunities for community service; and leadership
development, and strives to advance their participation in society and civic
Empowered, caring youth dedicated to making
community service a life-long commitment.
It is the mission of the Mayor's Youth Corps:
- To provide a direct communication link between the
Mayor and the youth of the City of Tampa
- To provide the experience of working with city
government and instill a sense of civic responsibility
- To provide leadership opportunities
- To provide opportunities for hands-on, effective
service to the citizens and the city
- To promote and recognize the accomplishments and
contributions of youth to the City of Tampa.
The Mayor's Youth Corps is comprised of students from each participating
high school, both public and private, located within the Tampa city limits.
Selection of Members
- Each school is invited to nominate students.
Students may also self-nominate.
- Materials for student nominations are sent to
each participating school.
- A selection committee comprised of youth and
adults, review the applications, conduct interviews and make
recommendations for membership in the Mayor’s Youth Corps.
- Background checks are done on each student and
parents/guardians are asked to sign a medical authorization. Students
are asked to sign a photo authorization release.