FAQ - RNC Traffic
FAQ - Street Closures
Are you interested in car pooling to work during the RNC?
- In an effort to help alleviate congestion during
the RNC, we want to remind everyone about
TBARTA's free online ride-matching
service that can help commuters looking to carpool before, during or after
When and what types of security checks will occur when I access
- Access on and off Harbour Island may result in
vehicle security sweeps between Monday, August 27th, 2012 at noon through
Friday August 31st, 2012 at 0200 hrs. Traffic delays may occur especially
during convention hours
What streets are
all streets are closed south of Whiting Street along with a partial closure
of the Selmon Expressway.
details please see the Available parking in
downtown Tampa map.
- Please see the
news release from the U.S. Secret Service for additional information.
expect traffic delays and potential detours?
- Yes, please allow for extra travel time and be
Is the Riverwalk open?
be able to get dropped off in front of the Embassy Suites?
- It will be open from Brorein Street to Washington
businesses are open and operating as normal?
- Only if your vehicle has been preapproved by the
U.S. Secret Service; otherwise you need to head south on Tampa, take a right
on Whiting Street, right on Ashley Drive and drop off on Ashley Drive just
north of Whiting Street.
Will services to Harbour
Island be normal?
- Many downtown businesses will remain open however,
some have voluntarily decided to close during the convention.
- It is recommended you check with the individual
business for specific days and hours of operation before you go.
Where do I drop off for the
- All services should continue as normal with the
exception of potential traffic delays.
- Some delivery and pick-up schedules, along with
City services may be slightly altered
- Vehicles and/or buses will be authorized to
temporarily load and unload on Jackson Street between Morgan Street and
- After drop off, the vehicle must immediately leave
and locate an available parking space before returning for pick-up.
How do I get to Tampa General Hospital from Harbour Island?
How do I get onto Harbour Island?
- Travel south on Meridian Avenue via the Beneficial Bridge (please note:
vehicles are subject to screening)
How do I get off Harbor Island?
- Travel north over the Beneficial Bridge and then north on Meridian
Will I be able to get on and off Davis Island?
How do I get to Channelside Complex, the Florida Aquarium and the Port?
- Allow for extra travel time and use I-275/I4 exit south on 21st Street;
west on Adamo Drive; south on Channelside Drive and park in the Port Garage
(Channelside Parking Garage).
I have a cruise departing from the Port of Tampa at Channelside. How do I get
there and where do I park?
- Allow for extra travel time and use I-275/I4 exit
south on 21st Street; west on Adamo Drive; south on Channelside Drive and
park in the Port Garage (Channelside Parking Garage).
Will I be able to get to the Straz Center or the Museums?
- Yes, by exiting onto Ashley Drive and park in either the
Garage or the surface lots normally utilized in the vicinity.
How do I get to MacDill Air Force Base from the Brandon Area?
- Recommend route: Take I-75 north to I-4 west to I-275 south and exit
Dale Mabry Highway southbound to the MacDill AFB Dale Mabry gate.
Will I be able to walk to the restaurant at Platt Street and Parker Street
- Yes, by going over the Kennedy Boulevard Bridge.
How do I get to the Publix at Platt Street and Bayshore Boulevard?
- Via Platt Street and exit south onto Bayshore Boulevard.
What time does the Selmon Expressway Reversible Elevated Lanes (REL) reverse?
- Approximately 5:30 a.m. into downtown
- Approximately 1 p.m. into Brandon
How do I get to Carlton Academy?
- Access to Carlton Academy will be east on Jackson
Street, right on Nebraska Avenue, right on Washington Street, right on Brush
Street to the front of the building. A map is being provided to the owners
of Carlton Academy for parents to assist with directions.