FAQ - Solid Waste Collection Services during the Republican National
Will SWEEP services be affected during the RNC?
- Yes, the City of Tampa Solid Waste regular SWEEP
schedule will be suspended for three weeks due to the Republican National
Convention. SWEEP services will be suspended from Monday, August 20, 2012 to
Friday, September 7, 2012, affecting the areas listed below. SWEEP services
will resume for these areas beginning Monday, September 10, 2012:
- Oakford Park / West Pines - September 10-14
- West Riverfront / North Hyde Park / Courier City - September 17-21
- Carver City / Lincoln Gardens / Westshore Palms - September 24-28
For more information about the SWEEP program, visit
How will my solid waste and recycling services be impacted by the RNC event?
- The City will continue to deliver solid waste and recycling collection services to most residents and businesses as scheduled. The collection time of your solid waste and recycling services may be adjusted depending on your location and proximity to the downtown area of Tampa or events associated with the RNC.
Who do I contact to schedule service if my business is on call?
- Please call the City of Tampa Utility Services Call Center 348-1111, option 2 to schedule service for your on call account.
My business is located in the heart of downtown. Will I still receive service?
- Yes. However, your scheduled time of collection may be adjusted to take place during early morning hours. All communications regarding the schedule for solid waste and recycling services will be delivered through the Downtown Partnership. Property managers and business owners will continue to receive briefings related to our service plan.
I plan to close my business during the week of 8-27-12. Will I still be billed for solid waste and recycling services?
- At this time, there is no plan to credit closed businesses for the RNC time period.
If I notice suspicious items placed with my garbage that were not generated by me, who should I call?
- Please call 911 to report any unusual or suspicious items that may appear in your garbage prior to collection services.
The City recently collected the City-issued 95 gallon cart from my downtown business location. When will the cart be returned, and how will my garbage be collected?
- As part of the security initiative, City-issued carts will be removed from businesses in the downtown area one week prior to the RNC events (August 17th). Customers in the downtown area should place their refuse at the curbside in bags (preferably clear plastic bags) on their scheduled collection day. The carts will be returned at the conclusion of the RNC activities. Please call the City of Tampa Utility Services Call Center at 813-348-1111 for additional information.
Wheels on my dumpster have a locking device on them. Why?
- As part of the added security measure, the Department of Solid Waste and Environmental Program Management has chosen to immobilize dumpsters with wheels during the week of RNC related activities.
I plan on doing more business during the RNC. Can I increase the frequency of my pickup?
- If you wish to increase the frequency of your collection during the week of the RNC, please contact the City of Tampa at area code 813-348-1111, option 2.