In the Design Division, there are many services that are performed by our
staff to accommodate project construction. The main priority of the
engineering staff is the development and review of design set plans. Below is a
partial list of the services that are provided.
- Preparation of plans/specifications and bid documents for construction by
outside contractors, which includes:
- Design concept and preparation of cost estimates
- Survey and design drawing review
- Utility coordination
- Acquisition of any regulatory permits for construction project
- Formulate bid specifications for City contract(s)
- Represent the Department at pre-bid and award coordination meetings
- Generate plans/specifications for construction by Stormwater
Department crews, which includes:
- Survey and utility coordination
- Plan set design and drawing
- Acquisition of regulatory permits for construction project
- Review coordination with other City Departments
- Monitor project through completion
- Construction project administration
- Attend pre-bid, pre-construction, and progress meetings as necessary
during the execution of City contracts
- Review shop drawings and as-built information prior to
- Work with field engineering personnel to resolve problems as needed.
- Assist City construction inspectors as necessary during the
- Preparation of plans for storm maintenance construction crews:
- Survey and plot base drawings.
- Plot design and prepare work orders.
- Go through review loop.
- Coordinate with other utilities.
- Provide immediate-response design services for emergency situations (e.g. cave-ins, storm events etc.):
- Field assessment of situation
- Analysis of hydrologic flows and system capacity
- Preparation of design drawings to resolve emergency situations
- Private-Party developer review:
- Review all developer plans which will be transferred to the City for
ownership and maintenance for compliance with
- Provide Technical
Development Manual for consulting engineers
- Evaluate hydraulic calculations on all proposed drainage systems which
will connect to the City's infrastructure
- For larger developments, coordinate with the consulting engineer to
properly and economically size proposed drainage systems
Southwest Florida Water Management District permits for new projects
- Work with field engineering personnel to resolve construction related
problems as needed
- Review non-standard shop drawings
- Review preliminary and final plat information to ensure drainage
easements are accommodated