Asthma is a breathing condition where the air passages becomenarrow. Sometimes the muscles in the airway spasm, which makes it difficult for a personto breathe.
The symptoms of an asthma attack are indicated by the wheezing orwhistling noise a person makes while breathing. Asthma is more common in children than inolder people.
People with asthma can control an attack with medication. Theyusually carry the medication with them in the form of an inhaler.
SIGNS OF DISTRESS / ASTHMA
- Victim labors to breathe
- Victim has skin color that is bluish, grey or ashen
- Victims’ nostrils are flaring and there is straining of the neck and facial muscles
- Victims’ breathing has a noisy, wheezing sound
- Victim may behave restless, anxious, confused into unconsciousness.
- Keep the victim in a sitting position
- Be sure that the airway is open
- Keep the victim calm and restful
- Loosen any restrictive clothing
- Provide emotional support.