Tampa Theatre opened on October 15, 1926
and during its early days presented extravagant vaudeville shows, concerts by the Tampa
Theatre Orchestra, and silent films. By 1973, as operating costs soared, the Theatre
was no longer economically viable as a commercial enterprise.
Fortunately, rather than demolish the structure, its owners donated the Tampa
Theatre to the City of Tampa. In 1977, the City of Tampa reopened the Theatre and
began a comprehensive restoration program. Tampa Theatre is now open year-round and
features an acclaimed Film Series of cinema from around the world. The Theatre also
hosts live concerts and special events.
Tampa Theatre is listed in the National Register of Historic Places,
is a Tampa City Landmark, and is a member of the League of Historic American Theatres.
(select an image for a larger view)