Parks and Recreation FAQ

Parks and Recreation FAQ

Parks and Recreation - Events

Can I distribute or sell food at my event?

Yes. Food items should be served and prepared in a sanitary manner consistent with Florida Department of Health. Vendors selling any food items and persons wishing to give away food are required to be in compliance with the established Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation guidelines for Temporary Food Service Events and have all the appropriate business licenses and insurance. Anyone who serves food to the public at a temporary food service event needs a license. Food may not be stored or prepared at private residences.

Inspectors from the State of Florida may be in attendance at any event held within the City of Tampa. Food vendors are required to meet the minimum standards of the State and be prepared to purchase a temporary food service license from the inspector.

At least three business days prior to the scheduled event, the applicant must notify the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation of the following items:

  • Type of food service proposed
  • Time and location of the event
  • Complete list of food service vendor owners and operators participating
  • Current license number of each public food service establishment participating

Applicants may complete notification requirements by telephone at (850) 487-1395, in person at the appropriate district office or in writing. For more information, please review the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation Guide to Temporary Food Service Events.

Do I need a permit for my event?

Yes. A Facility Use Permit is required for any event taking place in a city park that anticipates up to 199 participants/spectators to attend. A Special Events Permit is required for most temporary events with an estimated number of participants/spectators of 200 or more during any day of the event. For more information on planning your special event, visit the Special Event Coordination web site.

Do I need insurance for my event?

Maybe. Applicants may be required to provide a commercial general liability insurance policy with a limit of $1,000,000 per occurrence and a $2,000,000 general aggregate, naming the City of Tampa as additional insured depending on the nature of the event. If you need to purchase insurance for your event, please review our information on purchasing special event insurance.

How do I purchase Special Event Insurance?

For information on this, we recommend you review our information on purchasing special event insurance. Additionally, please provide the insurance agency with our instructions on the paperwork we require. If you still have questions, please contact our Special Events Office at (813) 274-8019.

What's happening in Tampa Bay?

Our calendar has the latest information on Parks and Recreation Department events. For additional information, we suggest checking out our Visitor Information Center.

Parks and Recreation - Online Account

Can I create an account online?

Yes! We currently allow patrons to create an account online.

How do I know if I have an Online Account?

If anyone in your household has participated or reserved a facility with the Tampa Parks and Recreation Department in the past two years, you should already have an established household in our system. If you are still not sure, you may ask a staff member to check to see if you are in our system.

I have family members that need to be added/deleted from my household account.

Currently, you are required to come in if you would like to add a family member to your household. This is because of the proof of birthdate requirement.

If you have a family member that is no longer living in your home, you may notify a staff member in person or by phone. We will inactivate the member from your household.

I need my User ID and Password, how do I get it?

If you have forgotten your password, you may request it by email, under the Need User ID and/or Password section.

I need to change information on my Online Account, what do I need to do?

When you log into your Online Account, under the "My Account" tab, and "Change Household Data" you will be able to update your email address, phone number, and emergency contact information.

Currently, we do not allow patrons to update their address or family member information online.