Parks and Recreation FAQ

Parks and Recreation FAQ

Parks and Recreation - Reservations & Permits

May I hold my special event on a major holiday weekend?

You may be able to hold your event on a major holiday depending on the availability of law enforcement, event location, and conflicts with other events. Applications must be received at least 90 days in advance of the holiday to be considered. The Office of Special Events and the Tampa Police Department will make a determination if there are not enough resources to ensure public safety during any holiday period. Additional fees and personnel cost may apply.

What are the fees for having an event in a park?

The reservation fees and required deposit for an event vary depending on the size, scope, and the event components. In addition to reservation fees, there may be fees for other city services such as police, EMS, Fire Marshal, Solid Waste, etc. based on the size and details of the event.

Please note: Applicants may be required to provide a commercial general liability insurance policy with a limit of $1,000,000 per occurrence and a $2,000,000 general aggregate, naming the City of Tampa as additional insured depending on the nature of the event.

What happens if I need to cancel or postpone my special event?

If you cancel or postpone a scheduled event:

  • A minimum of 30 days prior to the first scheduled day (including move-in), you will be entitled to a complete refund excluding the application fee and deposit.
  • Less than 30 days prior to the first scheduled day (including move-in), you will not be issued a refund

However, if the event is canceled by the City of Tampa due to a declaration of a state of emergency, issuance of a tropical storm, hurricane warning, or warning of severe inclement weather by the county, you will receive a full refund.

The City of Tampa holds the right to cancel or postpone an event without prior notice for any condition affecting the public health or safety of the City or any condition that would place facilities, grounds or other natural resources at risk of damage or destruction if the event were permitted to take place.

What parks are available for reservations/rentals?

The majority of Tampa parks are available for rentals for a special event. However, the size and details of the event will determine whether a particular park is appropriate for your event.

  • For general reservation inquiries, please send us your inquiry via email.
  • For picnic shelter, gazebo, greenspace reservation request or to check availability, please send us your request via the Customer Service Center.
  • For our banquet halls: Ragan Center and Seminole Garden Center, please contact us through the Banquet Hall email request.
When do I have to get a reservation permit?

That depends. There are two types of park permits:

  • A Facility Use Permit is required for any outdoor activity with an anticipated attendance of 25-199 or for any rental of a building or community center.
  • A Special Event Permit is required for any outdoor activity with an anticipated attendance of 200 persons or greater and/or any outdoor activity requesting a sound amplification permit (i.e., DJ, sound system with speakers, etc).