Seasonal Lifeguard Positions
Are you looking for an opportunity that helps you build skills, develop leadership, and gain marketable job qualities? Tampa Parks and Recreation employs more than 90 lifeguards each summer season. Candidates must be at least 16 years old and successfully complete the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Certification Course including FIrst Aid/CPR/AED.
- Currently certified candidates may apply once the job posts on our Jobs page.
- Lifeguard classes are offered at many of our pools and the certification is required prior to employment.
First Time Candidates
Lifeguard Rookie School
First time candidates interested in employment for Summer 2016 may attend one of our no cost Lifeguard recruitment assessment programs. No certifications required. Aquatic skills are assessed using the Lifeguard Certification pretest:
- swim 300 yards continuously using the breast stroke or front crawl with rhythmic breathing,
- swim 20 yards then retrieve a 10 pound object from the bottom, return to starting point and exit the water within 1 minute 40 seconds, and
- tread water, legs only for 2 minutes.
Leadership qualities are observed and the employment interview is conducted. Candidates will get an opportunity to become part of example scenarios and learn about job expectations. Once completed, candidates must enroll and pass the lifeguard certification program to be eligible for hire.
Don't wait...secure your summer job now!
Go check out our Rookie School schedule.