View Cemeteries
OAKLAWN
Morgan & Jefferson Street Tampa Florida
Open 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
img_oaklawn_ent.gif Oaklawn Cemetery was Tampa’s first public burial ground. The Alachua County Commissioners deeded the location in the mid 1800s. It was named as the final resting-place for "White and Slave, Rich and Poor". In 1889 the Committee on Cemetery & Hospitals recommended that the name be changed to Park Cemetery. Many prominent citizens objected loudly and the name was never changed.
The First Mayor of the City of Tampa Judge Joseph B. Lancaster rests here at Oaklawn. img_mayor.gif
img_oaklawn_shd.gif The Sexton house originally known as the Pavilion or Gazebo was built in 1910 at a cost of $410.00. In 1976 Oaklawn was declared a Historic Cemetery. Historian Jeff Gordon has written a 2-volume book on Oaklawn that is available through the Public library.
Please note the Oaklawn Cemetery share an unmarked property line with St. Louis Catholic Cemetery.