College Intern Program
Tampa Police Department offers non-paid internships opportunities to degree seeking students who are interested in pursing a career in law enforcement and forensic investigations. The program allows students the opportunity to be exposed to various facets of the department operations while working side by side with sworn officers and support staff. Upon successful completion of the internship, students will have gained knowledge and experience that can lead them to a successful career in criminal justice.
The internship program has three sessions: spring (January?May), summer (May-August), and fall (August?December).
Interested students must meet the following qualifications at the time of application in order to be considered for the program:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be an American citizen or foreign exchange student
- Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program
- Must be of good moral character
- Will undergo criminal records check to include fingerprints
- No felony convictions
- Any arrest record must be sealed or expunged
- Illegal drug use will be considered on a case by case basis, with emphasis on experimental use, frequency and time period of usage
- Must successfully pass a background investigation
- May be subject to polygraph examination at the discretion of the department
How to apply:
1. Complete the college intern application in its entirety. Return the completed application to Crystel Sampson via email at email@example.com or fax at 813-276-3402. She can be reached at 813-276-3409 for questions and additional information.
To be considered for internship, applications must be submitted by the following deadlines*:
|Fall Session||July 15 (Current Year)|
|Spring Session||November 15 (Current Year)|
|Summer Session||March 1 (Current Year)|
* Due to limited positions in the Forensics Unit, internships will be granted on a first come, first serve basis.
2. Once your application is reviewed, a background questionnaire will be sent to you via email.
- Submit a recommendation letter, official letterhead drafted by an academic counselor, department head or professor from the college/university /secondary learning institution stating you are enrolled as a degree-seeking student and the number of hours requested for internship.
- Mail or drop off the completed background questionnairewithin 14 days of receipt to: Tampa Police Department, Personnel Division (Internship Program), 411 North Franklin Street, Tampa, FL 33602. (When all documents have been received, you will then be contacted for scheduling of an interview)