Story Of Tampa - Wave on Bayshore
The Story of Tampa by Lynn Ash
In 1881, two sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, opened a two-room school house in on Zack Street in Tampa. In the late 1920s, the Academy of the Holy Names moved to its current location on Bayshore Blvd.
The Wave on Bayshore, part of the City of Tampa's Public Art Program, was created by artist Mary Ann Unger. This steel sculpture is 10' x 15' x 6'. This artwork is reminiscent of the motion of a wave breaking onto the shore. Additionally, the open arch form of the white wave evokes the form of a shell or the ribs of a boat's hull.