Channelside Drive Project
What is the Channelside Drive Design Project
Imagine a Channelside Drive that complements the emerging urban neighborhood in the Channel District. The City of Tampa and the Channel District Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) have recently begun a project that will engage the neighborhood and other stakeholders in doing just that!
Community input and analysis of existing and projected conditions will be used to create a plan for Channelside Drive from south of the roundabout at Cumberland Avenue to north of Kennedy Boulevard (SR 60).
The Channel District and surrounding neighborhoods are rapidly changing. New residents, businesses, and institutions are coming online, adding to the exciting urban vibe. How might the street components of Channelside Drive be reconfigured to better serve multiple modes of travel and reflect the vibrancy of the District?
To guide the planning process, several objectives have been identified for the Channelside Drive project:
- Improve safety for all users of the street
- Ensure pedestrians feel comfortable crossing the street
- Improve multi-modal mobility and connectivity to adjacent neighborhoods/venues
- Maintain or improve capacity for motor vehicles
- Correct any existing drainage deficiencies
- Maintain consistency with adjacent development/infrastructure projects
- Improve aesthetic value
- Develop a plan to incorporate the new design to compliment the established themes in the neighborhood
Whether taking your dog to the park, walking to get ice cream with the kids, or socializing with neighbors along your way, Channelside Drive has the potential to enhance your experience in the Channel District.
- Underway - Data Collection and Conditions Evaluation
- May 21 - Community Meeting #1 (Needs, Preferences & Opportunities)
- Fall 2018 - Conceptual Design Alternatives
- Winter 2018 - Community Meeting #2 (Alternatives Review & Feedback)
- Spring/Summer 2019 - Preferred Conceptual Design Approval
Learning about what is important to the Channel District community is an integral part of project decision making. Please join us!
Learn about the project and share your ideas for the future of Channelside Drive! We are seeking input from the public to help shape and prioritize Channelside Drive improvements.
Check back for updates.
Questions or comments?