Channelside Drive Project
What is the Channelside Drive Design Project
Imagine a Channelside Drive that complements the emerging urban neighborhood in the Channel District. The City of Tampa and the Channel District Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) have recently begun a project that will engage the neighborhood and other stakeholders in doing just that!
Community input and analysis of existing and projected conditions will be used to create a plan for Channelside Drive from south of the roundabout at Cumberland Avenue to north of Kennedy Boulevard (SR 60).
The Channel District and surrounding neighborhoods are rapidly changing. New residents, businesses, and institutions are coming online, adding to the exciting urban vibe. How might the street components of Channelside Drive be reconfigured to better serve multiple modes of travel and reflect the vibrancy of the District?
To guide the planning process, several objectives have been identified for the Channelside Drive project:
- Improve safety for all users of the street
- Ensure pedestrians feel comfortable crossing the street
- Improve multi-modal mobility and connectivity to adjacent neighborhoods/venues
- Maintain or improve capacity for motor vehicles
- Correct any existing drainage deficiencies
- Maintain consistency with adjacent development/infrastructure projects
- Improve aesthetic value
- Develop a plan to incorporate the new design to compliment the established themes in the neighborhood
Whether taking your dog to the park, walking to get ice cream with the kids, or socializing with neighbors along your way, Channelside Drive has the potential to enhance your experience in the Channel District.
- Underway - Data Collection and Conditions Evaluation
- May 21 - Community Meeting #1 (Needs, Preferences & Opportunities)
- Fall 2018 - Conceptual Design Alternatives
- Winter 2018 - Community Meeting #2 (Alternatives Review & Feedback)
- Spring/Summer 2019 - Preferred Conceptual Design Approval
Learning about what is important to the Channel District community is vital to decision making for the project. Watch this space for updates on public engagement activities, including public input summaries and future project events.
Public Meeting #1
The first public meeting for the Channelside Drive Design Project was a workshop held on May 21, 2018, at the Tampa Bay History Center. Rain and a hockey playoff game didn’t discourage the 37 community members who attended the meeting. Interested residents, business representatives, and other stakeholders came out to share: 1) observations about Channelside Drive, 2) ideas on ways the street could be improved, and 3) opinions on design features that should be top priority.
This initial opportunity for public input on the project will remain open through June 30, 2018. After this date, all public input received will be summarized in a report and linked to this webpage. Please check back for updates.
Couldn’t make the meeting?
No worries! You may email comments regarding Channelside Drive issues, solutions, and/or enhancements to ChannelsideDrive@tampagov.net. The public comment period for this initial public outreach phase ends June 30, 2018, so please send your comments by this date.
The project team will develop a series of design alternatives for Channelside Drive within the project area. A second public meeting will be scheduled later in the year to invite public input on the design alternatives.
Public Meeting #1:
- Invitation (flyer)
- Agenda/Comment Card
- Presentation #1
- Preliminary Public Input Summary (coming mid-June)
Questions or comments?