The holidays are a time when criminals will try to prey on the giving nature of community members. Here's some tips to help you stay safe:
- Never open your door to a stranger! Communicate with him/her through a two-way audio doorbell or device, or just simply speak through a closed door.
- Avoid donating cash. Write a check to the charity (not the person in front of you) or donate through the organization's website.
- Call police before you post on social media! Report suspicious activity in your neighborhood to the Tampa Police Department at 813-231-6130.
- Be wary of security sales representatives or anyone who suddenly shows up at your door claiming they need to repair, upgrade or service equipment inside your home.
- Consider posting a "No Solicitors" sign to discourage door-to-door sales and solicitations.
- Buyer beware! If the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Be cautious of paying for items or services in advance.
Protect Your Packages
- Track package(s) online.
- Require a signature.
- Monitor your front porch with a security camera.
- Arrange a delivery time when someone is at home.
- Pick up your package(s) from your local post office or from a friend/neighbor.
- Lock car doors and keep valuables out of plain view.
- Park in well-lit areas when shopping after dark.
- Break down boxes and place them inside of your trash can to avoid letting criminals know what may be inside your home.
- Never carry large amounts of cash when you're out shopping. Try to use credit/debit cards instead.