The City of Tampa provides funding to support affordable housing development and rehabilitation. These funds are secured by a mortgage to insure a period of affordability. The City works with a company called AmeriNat to ensure that mortgage deferments and payments are managed properly. The Mortgage Servicing section of Housing and Community Development manages the AmeriNat contract and authorizes mortgage loan assumptions, mortgage releases, and mortgage subordinations.
AmeriNat is responsible for servicing the mortgage from the time the proceeds are dispersed at the closing until the loan is paid off and/or matured. This includes sending monthly payment statements, collecting monthly payments, maintaining records of payments and balances, collecting and paying taxes and insurance (and managing escrow accounts and impound funds), remitting funds to the note holder, and following up on delinquencies.
If you have any questions regarding your mortgage loan, please contact:
P.O. Box 123
Downey, CA 90242-0123
In the event you are having difficulty making your payment or in need of foreclosure counseling please access the Housing Counseling sections foreclosure information at the following link https://www.tampagov.net/housing-and-community-development/programs/foreclosure-prevention.
INSURANCE CLAIM CHECKS
In the event of a loss, the insurance company will issue an insurance check to the homeowner that lists all loss payees. In order for the homeowner to cash the check they must obtain the endorsement of all parties listed on the check. When a homeowner is seeking the City’s endorsement they will be directed to Denise Papajorgji, Housing Portfolio Specialist (HPS) at (813) 274-8627.
Housing & Community Development
306 E. Jackson St., 3N
The City of Tampa Loan Assumption program is designed to help the homeowners and/or requestor(s) to cure the default by providing them the option to sell the property to an income qualified buyer who can assume the loan. Mortgage assumptions allow a family member or income eligible household to assume the loan of a borrower who has passed away, has relocated, is in a nursing home and/or unable to maintain the mortgage.
The determination of eligibility to assume the Deffered Payment Loan (DPL) is based on household income and family size per source of funding of the existing mortgage.
The following will be required:
- Mortgage Assistance application.
- Homeowner written request for the assumption.
- 60 days of household income, all income sources.
- 60 days of bank statements.
- If applicable, death certificate of the borrower and probate documents.
- Proof of current homeowner’s insurance.
- Taxes be current or brought current.
Upon review of the application(s), a determination is made to see if the requestor(s) can assume the mortgage with or without payments. For information on loan assumption please contact Denise Papajorgji, Housing Portfolio Specialist at (813) 274-8627.
Modifications are determined on a case by case basis. For information on loan modifications please contact Belix Parks, Housing Portfolio Specialist at (813) 274-7977.
PAYOFFS/SATISFACTION OF MORTGAGE PROCESS
Payoff requests can be sent via email to: email@example.com, or by phone at (800) 943-1988.
The payoff funds including the recording fee can also be mailed to:
Attention: Payment Processing Department.
P.O. Box 123
Once a loan has been paid off, a copy of the recorded satisfaction of mortgage will be mailed out to the borrower.
The City of Tampa releases mortgages when the terms of the mortage have been met. The Housing Portfolio Specialist monitors mortgages to insure timely release of the mortgage. Release of Mortgage(s) is necessary to assist in clearing encumbrances on a title to a property that has a recorded City of Tampa (COT) mortgage. A Release of Mortgage (ROM) may be issued for the following reasons:
- The property has met the requirement of the funding source agreement (State Housing Initiative Program, HOME, etc).
- The mortgage has reached its maturity date.
- Short Sales.
- Tax Deed Sales.
- Florida Statute 95.281.
The City of Tampa’s Short Sale option allows a homeowner who is underwater (owes more than the property is worth) to sell the property and clear the City’s encumbrance on the title. When a homeowner becomes financially distressed and can no longer afford to pay their first mortgage due to a financial or medical hardship, or must relocate out of City of Tampa; a Short Sale will be considered.
For questions on the short sale process and review, please contact Denise Papajorgji, Housing Portfolio Specialist at (813) 274-8627.
Please see attached Short Sale Policy & Procedure for further details.
The City of Tampa’s Subordination Policy is designed to assist a homeowner to:
- Refinance an existing private mortgage to lower the interest rate and/or reduce the loan term.
- Consolidate or payoff installment loans, student loans, credit card debt or other similar consumer debt of the mortgagor on a one time basis. The total amount of debt payoff involved to exceed $10,000.00.
- Secure a new private loan or to refinance an existing private mortgage loan to allow for the renovation or rehabilitation of the property.
These options are a benefit to the homeowner in preventing foreclosure by the first lender. The policy set forth herein shall apply to all persons who have received financial assistance through the City’s programs and who have executed a promissory note and mortgage in favor of the City in exchange for the assistance received.
In order for the subordination request to be reviewed, the following information must be submitted:
- Borrower’s Authorization Form
- Copy of signed loan application
- Copy of Payoff Letter from the current lender or lenders
- Loan Closing Disclosures
- Current Appraisal of property, if applicable
- Current Title Search
- Proof that the taxes and insurance will be escrowed by the lender
- Copy of Construction Proposal if refinance is for approved types of home improvement
- Copy of Current Homeowner’s Insurance
- Completed Comparative Analysis Form
For questions on the subordination process and review, please contact Denise Papajorgji, Housing Portfolio Specialist at (813) 274-8627.
Please see attached Subordination Policy for further details.
- List of Properties
- Property map
- Property Disposition Policy
*Hyperlinks to the above bullets are pending.