Automobile Liability Claims
Please note that the City of Tampa is a self-insured public entity as defined under §768 F.S.
The following information is provided to assist you in obtaining the most expeditious reply to your claim.
If you feel you have an auto accident claim against the City of Tampa, the City Claims Office recommends that you contact your insurance carrier and report the accident to them immediately. Filing the claim with your own insurance company should simplify and expedite the entire process for you. Upon final settlement with you, your insurance carrier may submit their subrogation to The City of Tampa Claims Office for review.
Should you elect to file your claim directly with the City of Tampa Claims Office, it is mandatory that you complete a City of Tampa Statement of Claim form and include all relevant supporting documents (such as receipts, cancelled checks, two (2) estimates, billings, etc.) or additional evidence (e.g. photos, diagrams, etc.) and mail, fax or deliver the fully completed and notarized claim form to:
City of Tampa
Risk Management/Claims Division
306 E. Jackson Street, #3E
Tampa, FL 33602
Or, you may scan and submit your claim electronically using the Electronic Claim Submission link at the bottom of this page.
In the event your form is received and is not notarized and/or fully completed or supporting documents are not enclosed, your file will be recorded but remain inactive in our system, until a fully completed form is received.
If you are claiming injury, it is also required that you include the following completed forms:
The City of Tampa has mandatory reporting requirements under the Medicare, Medicaid and SCHIP Extension Act. If liability for health care expenses is accepted by the City, a claim cannot be paid without this information.
The City Claims staff will review and thoroughly investigate the matter based upon the totality of the individual circumstances, and evaluate your claim on its own individual merit, prior to rendering a final claims decision.
- The City Claims office will not pay or commit to paying for any damages or loss of use until our investigation is completed.
- Should the City of Tampa agree to handle any part of your damages, we will review submitted repair estimates and/or complete our own damage appraisal.
- The City may pay a maximum of $25 per day loss of use for the reasonable period of time for your accident related damages (applicable toward a rental vehicle) plus tax, while your vehicle is being repaired.
- The City Claims office does not cover gas, mileage or insurance on a rental vehicle.
- The City Claims office does not cover loss of use expenses for repairs that exceed the expected repair time.
- Excessive rental expenses will need to be settled between you, the owner, and your repair facility.
As the claimant you have the following responsibilities:
- Complete, sign, notarize and mail in a Statement of Claim form to the City of Tampa.
- Mitigate your damages. This includes minimizing storage expenses & protecting your property from additional damage and exposure.
NOTE: All documents submitted to the City of Tampa are subject to Florida Public Records Statute (Ch. 119, F.S.) after the claim is closed.