Consumer Alert about Companies Offering Free Water Testing
The Tampa Water Department would like to make customers aware that private businesses will periodically make telephone calls and door-to-door solicitations claiming they can improve the quality and safety of your water through the use of water treatment systems. The Tampa Water Department is not affiliated with any private water treatment company and does not endorse the use of any specific water treatment system.
“The City of Tampa constantly tests and treats your water to ensure that it exceeds all federal and state standards for safe drinking water,” said Chuck Weber, Water Department Director. “Each year we mail out a comprehensive water quality report to our customers explaining how we keep Tampa's water safe. This report provides information about compounds detected in Tampa's drinking water. Our current water quality report is in production and expected to be delivered to our customers in May.”
In the meantime, customer may take the following precautions:
- Do not fall victim to scare tactics.
- Do not get pressured into making a hurried purchase decision.
- Request identification. Reputable sales people should be able to produce identification and tell you who they are working for.
- Be careful who you let into your home.
- Be careful with credit card or other personal information.
- Be suspicious if you are told that an in-home test has detected pollution or contamination in your water.
If you are a City of Tampa Water Department customer and have any questions about your water quality, call us at (813) 274-8811 or visit TampaGov.net/WaterQuality to view the most recent Water Quality Report.
For additional information, contact:
Chuck Weber, P.E., Director
Office: (813) 274-8663
Cell: (813) 480-3159
Fax: (813) 274-7435