City of Tampa to Celebrate Archives Awareness Week
The City of Tampa will celebrate Archives Awareness Week with exhibits and programs taking place at local archives throughout the week of July 10, 2016 – 16, 2016. These programs are free and open to the public, unless otherwise noted.
Archives Awareness Week was established in 1992 by the City of Tampa Archives Advisory Committee. During this week, local archivists and history enthusiasts come together to present their collections through exhibits and programs that convey the value of archives in the identification, preservation and conservation of historic records.
Archives Awareness Week is held during the second week of July to coincide with the City of Tampa’s July 15th birthday.
For more information on the City of Tampa’s Archives Awareness Week or about various exhibits or programs, please visit tampagov.net/aaw.
Key Exhibits and Programs
- Exhibits will be held all week long at the Tampa Bay History Center, Tampa Museum of Art, John F. Germany Public Library, Henry B. Plant Museum, Ybor City Museum State Park, Robert W. Saunders, Sr. Library, and Old City Hall.
- On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 2:00 p.m., the City of Tampa will open Archives Awareness Week with guest speakers Fred Hearns, Dr. Gary Mormino, and the Honorable E.J. Salcines.
- On Tuesday, July 12, 2016, at 2:00 p.m., the Robert W. Saunders, Sr. Library will offer a program on using census records to research genealogy.
- On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 3:00p.m., the Henry B. Plant Museum will host an afternoon tea and tour of Tampa’s oldest elevator. A new exhibit, Dogs in Art, will also be featured.
- On Wednesday, July 13, 2016, the Ybor Museum State Park will offer free admission all day, and a tour of the casita, as well as a screening of the PBS film Prejudice and Pride at 3:00 p.m. with refreshments and a Q&A on the patio.
- On Thursday, July 14, 2016, at 1p.m., librarians at the University of South Florida’s Special Collections will highlight some of their unique items in a special “show and tell” session.
- On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 7:00p.m., the Tampa Bay History Center will present an interactive discussion about Ybor City’s history at New World Brewery featuring live music.
- On Friday, July 15, 2016 the Tampa Bay History Center will offer free admission from 12:00-5:00, and a panel at 3:00 featuring local historians the Honorable E.J. Salcines, Dr. Gary Mormino, Dr. Susan Greenbaum, Andrew Huse, and Rodney Kite-Powell. Dr. Sarah McNamara will moderate. The panel will be followed by a happy hour with birthday cake to celebrate Tampa’s birthday. .
- On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 10:30 a.m., the Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library will offer a program on genealogical certificates, including how to become a Florida Pioneer.
- On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 6:00 p.m., the Tampa Bay History Center will offer a historic Ybor City walking tour led by Manny Leto and Dr. Sarah McNamara beginning at New World Brewery.
For additional information, please contact:
Ashley Bauman, Public Affairs Director